• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

USA Swimming suspends Phelps for 3 months

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
A slap on the wrist really. I think this is a good message to send to other aspiring athletes that such behavior simply isn't tolerated. He deserves to be humbled a bit with this whole thing too.

Maybe next time he is thinking about "just one smoke" he'll decide not to.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I just saw this on Yahoo news to. Slap on the wrist for now but just wait 'till the next Olympics... I'll guarantee this is gonna be brought up constantly every time he hits the screen.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
"..we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero"
It's not like he cheated in sports. I wonder if the message isn't more for those who got disappointed: we care what you think. I thought making him apologise was enough.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's not like he cheated in sports. I wonder if the message isn't more for those who got disappointed: we care what you think. I thought making him apologise was enough.
Don't forget, they want to scare these same children against "satan's playthings" (AKA, drugs) and how better to do it than continuously shame an icon?

Ryuk

Registered Member
A publicity stunt, a slap on the wrist, setting an example, ect ect.

As far as I'm concerned what does it really matter? Anyone remember the snowboarder who was busted for pot some ten years ago and they actually contemplated taking away his medal? Yeah same situation, this isn't a performance enhancer but because Michael was such a success the media will eat it up and others will use it in an attempt to bury him.

ILOVEUSA911

Registered Member
He signed contracts with his sponsors and if he broke the contract then it's that company's decision as to what action to take, and they have that right. Because of this, he may want to be a little more cautious, if he wants to keep these sponsors.

Having said that, I think suspending him is just over the top. Just the negative pulicity he's gotten and possibly losing a sponsor like Kellogs is punishment (if you think he should be punished, which I don't) enough.

I mean let's look at it like this. The last three Presidents of the United States admitted to smoking pot and were still elected. So if it's ok for the President of the United States to do it, I don't think a gold medal athelete should be rung through the ringer for it. If he were taking drugs to enhance his athletic ability during competition, that's one thing, but what he does on his own time is his business.

Shame on the person that sent this photograph in. I think they should be followed around for the rest of their life with a camera so that we can see if they have ever done anything some would deem unacepptable.

micfranklin

Eviscerator
I guess blowing dumb shit up, mentioning it on the news day after day and the pure insanity known as the War on Drugs worked again. I hope everyone starts getting the message that marijuana is just a plant and the WOD is a waste of time.

Oh well, the Olympics are still far away so the world isn't gonna stop spinning.