USA Knocks Off Argentina 96-81 To Bring Home Bronze

Discussion in 'NBA' started by SportsPageMike, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

That's great. 3rd place is awesome.

But yeah, at least we placed :D

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally if I was the Americans I wouldn't even be celebrating, I would be holding my head down, losing to Greece is an embarassement. Sorry I am not knocking on the Greece National Team, but we have like the best players in the World and they lost. Anyways like Dr Fresh said at least we got a medal, but they better show something better for the Olympics.

3. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

Bronze is better than nothin', the sad thing is anything but gold is seen as a faliure in the eyes of the United States. So many teams would have been happy to have the Bronze, I guest the dream team has set expectations so high that if we are not constantly blowing out our opponents we are under achieving.

4. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

Exactly man. Bronze is a great achievement. True, the United States is always set to win everything and get gold in everything and always place. Anything less than a gold WOULD be signaled as a failure. However, the only failure is when you're not playing as a team but just as an individual. That's when you know your "Dream Team" is failing.

5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah
    Bronze is an GREAT achievement
    At Least USA played as a team and at least they bought a medal home

Better bronze than nothing

6. Midnight

Midnight Guest

Based on the seriousness of the selection commitee and setting up a three year program to gear up for International competition, we under achieved.

Sure we brought home a medal, but there is going to be a firestorm in the USA Basketball office until next summer. They are going to investigate what the problem is that the USA cannot handle every opponent comfortably.

7. guys, this discussion's spread out over a bunch of different threads but let's face it. teams that have more experience playing together and know each other better are simply going to have one advantage against teams that don't, even if they're out talented. talent is one advantage the US team will always employ over opponents. unity is one advantage other teams could employ against the US. it comes down to which team executes better and which team makes plays. think of it more as dueling strengths. it's no different than a team strong on offense against a team strong on defense; or a team with a good backcourt against a team with a good frontcourt.

krzyzewski and co. understand it, and frankly it's pretty obvious watching the basketball games. either the team needs to get more used to playing together, or the team needs to bring their A game when they're up against teams that do. that simple.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright then when the real Dream Team in 1992 anniliated every country by over 40 points, and those teams played together all year, it's just that the Americans that year had more TALENT.

But I do agree with you it helps that you play together all the time, but still there's no excuse for the lost.

9. Midnight

Midnight Guest

The Americans still have more talent, but somedays they seem lax when they play. Chris Paul kept the offense speeedy but other than that it was usually a perimeter shot or an isolation play.

For sure they would get better by playing more together. Their original stars or number one priorities (ie Shaq, Garnett; reliable stars) aren't coming out for the team so they must settle on others.
    There is nothing wrong with Lebron, Carmelo and Wade but sometimes they need a kick in the butt to get things rolling.