• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

US Navy's largest destroyer ever built

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
With its fearsome array of weapons, radar evading silhouette and $7billion price tag, this is one of America's most deadly - and expensive - warships ever.

The $7billion warship to rule the waves: US Navy's largest destroyer ever built gets ready to set sail | Mail Online
This thing looks like something out of a science fiction movie. Very unusual looking and what else is unusual about it is it was built on time and on budget, wonder how they managed that. If looks are any sign of how it will perform it should do well. At a price tag of 7 billion it should perform exceptionally well.

Abrams

Registered Member
One of technological milestones. Many innovative technologies. For example hull design. But I think I will have teething problems. Any piece of equipment that is THAT complex and innovative will suffer form them. See USAF F-22 and F-35 programs and Seawolf submarines.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anything this new will have bugs to be worked out, it seems like they always do. I still bet it gives an exceptional performance. The real test will be how it performs the first time its used in a real battle. Which I'm hoping doesn't happen anytime soon.

Abrams

Registered Member
Anything this new will have bugs to be worked out, it seems like they always do. I still bet it gives an exceptional performance. The real test will be how it performs the first time its used in a real battle. Which I'm hoping doesn't happen anytime soon.
What are you meaning by real battle? Outdated Iranian or North Korean navy or more modern Chinese or Russian navies? Problem is that teething problems are bad for PR. Most of crowd don't understand that. Too bad that they cut number of these ships to only 3. And decided to restart production of Arleigh Burke-class. Stupid decision. At least they could do smilar thing that they did to attack submarines. Cancelled Seawolf class, but instead of restarting Los Angeles class they designed cheaper Virginia class based on Seawolf experience.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A real battle, something besides a exercise, they get fired upon. A outdated bomb or missile can be just as deadly.

At 7 billion dollars each I'm glad they are only going to build 3.

Abrams

Registered Member
A real battle, something besides a exercise, they get fired upon. A outdated bomb or missile can be just as deadly.

At 7 billion dollars each I'm glad they are only going to build 3.
Larger order = Lesser unit cost. See Virginia-class subs. Restarting Arleigh Burke-class is just BIG step back. Outdated missile or bomb? What do you mean by outdated? Old block Harpoons or Slikworm missiles? No they can't. Look at 2003 Iraq invasion. Regular army was ANNIHILATED within 2 weeks. Maybe Sunburn or BrahMos missiles could be dangerous to that ship.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
That is one hell of a massive ship. It's clear that the Navy is building these things to last as a lot of these ships have an expected operational time of 50-75 years.

For example: The USS Denver has been on the water for 48 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Denver_(LPD-9)

Abrams

Registered Member
That is one hell of a massive ship. It's clear that the Navy is building these things to last as a lot of these ships have an expected operational time of 50-75 years.

For example: The USS Denver has been on the water for 48 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Denver_(LPD-9)
But still... restarting Arleigh Burke-class after that groundbreaking design? Arleigh Burke-class is form 80s! They maybe should do new, little downgraded design... like with Seawolf/Virginia submarines.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Restarting the Arleigh Burke class was more about functionality than anything. They are primarily anti-missile destroyers that will focus on defending the sky from all types of missile attacks. The Zumwalt class has several roles but most of them are surface warfare and anti-aircraft.

Abrams

Registered Member
Restarting the Arleigh Burke class was more about functionality than anything. They are primarily anti-missile destroyers that will focus on defending the sky from all types of missile attacks. The Zumwalt class has several roles but most of them are surface warfare and anti-aircraft.
You got the point. Littoral Combat Ships will take over surface attack role. Still... I'm worried that Arleigh Burke class will be soon obsolete. Chinese navy is getting new good ships too. Also using Arleigh Burke class mainly for missile defense questions existence of big and costly Ticonderoga-class cruisers.