US Motto: In God We Trust

The Phrase "In God We Trust"

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This has been coming up more and more lately in political debates and discussions.

Should the phrase "In God We Trust" be used on our currency or as the official US motto (which it is)? Why or why not? Granted, it's been on our coins since 1864 and has been the official US motto since 1956.

Some history on the phrase for those interested:

In God We Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, leave it, remove it, or are you indifferent?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I believe it should stay. The argument of some of those that are against it is that it violates the establishment clause, which is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever (not that it hasn't stopped anyone before or an active judiciary who agrees for an unexplained reason). So, that's our motto and should stay as such.

United States was founded under God and it should stay. We have the Bible in hotels and motels, God on our money, God in our marriage, you swear on a Bible in court, anthem and any other place I can't think of at the moment. I'm a fond believer in God and it angers me that there are people out there want want God not part of our history or part of our current state any longer.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In my opinion if it conflicts with the US Constitution then I will in fact fight it to the ground.

The conflict of course being that of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" The way I interpret that would be if Congress were to adopt a single Religion and enforce that as the national religion.

The way I see "In god we trust" isnt singular to any one God. I do believe that the term God refers to any "all mighty" deity. So IMO it caters to all religions.

Bjarki

Registered Member
I think even non-religious people can appreciate the meaning of those words. It expresses exactly what the United States is build on: we serve noone, but we do what our hearts tell us to do. We do not pay hommage to any ruler, but we stay true to our principles: freedom, equality and justice, just as God intended the world to be. We fear noone, because we know God supports the society we've created.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In my opinion if it conflicts with the US Constitution then I will in fact fight it to the ground.

The conflict of course being that of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" The way I interpret that would be if Congress were to adopt a single Religion and enforce that as the national religion.

The way I see "In god we trust" isnt singular to any one God. I do believe that the term God refers to any "all mighty" deity. So IMO it caters to all religions.
And that was the purpose of the establishment clause, it prevents Congress from establishing a national religion. "In God we trust" doesn't establish a religion. It doesn't force anyone to believe in anything they don't want to, or force anyone to pay taxes towards a religious belief they don't hold. It doesn't violate anyones "liberty of conscious" as John Locke put it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I don't even like coming in here anymore, but here we go.....

That was add during the red scare and shouldn't be there. It was just a way to prove that the states were not communists. also, people believe that we were founded on a christian government, but that isn't what our founding fathers wanted, but that is what we have now. Is it fair to force something on nonbeliever's?

When you can just not have it? It wouldn't suppress anyone because they can still practice what they wish, but atheists, such as myself, are forced to deal with it.

Also, you say it isn't christian but it is a general term. If it was then why is God capitalized? When capitalized it means the christian god. And what about religions with multiple deities? Why can't it be In god(s) we trust?

Wouldn't that be more politically correct than just removing it?

I probably won't respond to any of your answers. I doubt I will come here again. heh

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That was add during the red scare and shouldn't be there. It was just a way to prove that the states were not communists. also, people believe that we were founded on a christian government, but that isn't what our founding fathers wanted, but that is what we have now. Is it fair to force something on nonbeliever's?

When you can just not have it? It wouldn't suppress anyone because they can still practice what they wish, but atheists, such as myself, are forced to deal with it.

Also, you say it isn't christian but it is a general term. If it was then why is God capitalized? When capitalized it means the christian god. And what about religions with multiple deities? Why can't it be In god(s) we trust?

Wouldn't that be more politically correct than just removing it?
I don't understand what the big deal with having 'In God we trust' on a coin or as a motto. It's been there for awhile now, and all the coins say it. Just ignore it if you don't like it.

It's like, some people here in Winnipeg were arguing against having a Christmas tree in the legislature buildings. They said 'oh it's discriminatory towards other religions'. I don't see how it is though, it wasn't like anyone was stopping the buddhists, muslims and all the other slew of religions from putting up their holiday symbols. In the end, it got to stay, but it had to be referred to as the 'Holiday' tree.

People today it seems, are so paranoid about being exposed to anything religious. Even little things like a motto on a coin, or half of a word describing a holiday. Thankfully, all talks of removing the word God from the Canadian national anthem were stopped. It's a piece of written work by someone else. That's how he wrote it, and it'd be totally wrong of us as a nation to remove it simply because half the nation is 'offended' because they happened to hear the word God.