• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

US life expectancy falls

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Can't post from phone but according to the data it's because of drugs, alcohol and suicide. Sad that we live in an advanced age and drug abuse and suicide is so high.

Why? I think there are many reasons but 2 that I can think of off hand are loneliness and lack of religion. Just my opinion but it's not good to be all alone and not share your life with a spouse and kids.
I also think the rise in atheism is a cause. Every person faces 3 questions. Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going? Just my opinion but I don't think you can answer those outside of religion.

What do you think the cause of this drop is?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
It might be because I'm not a practicing Catholic but I fail to understand what the lack of religion has to do with this. Obviously, the loneliness plays a major factor in all 3 reasons you gave but I'm curious to hear about your argument on that.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think the thought of death as being a finality would haunt me to the point of depression. I'm genuinely curious what others, particularly younger than me think. I've got kids and I don't want to see them trapped in drugs, alcohol and depression.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Ah, I see a bit what you mean. I would lie if I say that death isn't something that scares me. And I think it's normal. My mother is very spiritual about this kind of stuff and she's convinced that there is something after death. She has experienced some weird things in regards to deceased friends that convinced her it was the case. Even my father, who's really skeptical about this stuff and who's usually very rational in his thinking, has experienced some stuff that also convinced him of the same thing. So, I wouldn't say that religion plays a role in their beliefs on the matter (only my father regularly goes to church in my family anymore) but I think it has to do with if you're open to those beliefs.

Personally, I'm not there yet. Although I've experienced some things myself that makes me believe that there also might be something after death.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I rarely attend Church and I believe in life after death because of personal experiences.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
So, would you also agree that lack of religion isn't a factor in what @MenInTights stated in his opening statement in the thread?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not going to say religion doesn't play any part but I think its a lack of family. Often both parents work, if there are two, and if they are low income many times the kids are left to fend for themselves. So what happens, they are poor, they end up running the streets and find they can make money selling drugs or can escape their environment momentarily by using them.

No time in history has there been more single parent households. The fathers thinks its more important to be a player than a father especially to boys. Boys do need a man in their life, not some player that thinks he is a man. Which I'm not letting women off the hook. Find out who the man you are seeing is before you start having kids with him because you think that will keep him.

Maybe I'm all wet here but its what I think.

Impaired

Registered Member
Opiod deaths are up alarmingly. In 2015 more people died in the US from opiod ODs than all deaths in the Viet Nam war.

I am not at all surprised to see morons blame this on atheism and lack of religion. This is why there is no talking to it. It is clearly insane.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm not going to say religion doesn't play any part but I think its a lack of family. Often both parents work, if there are two, and if they are low income many times the kids are left to fend for themselves. So what happens, they are poor, they end up running the streets and find they can make money selling drugs or can escape their environment momentarily by using them.

No time in history has there been more single parent households. The fathers thinks its more important to be a player than a father especially to boys. Boys do need a man in their life, not some player that thinks he is a man. Which I'm not letting women off the hook. Find out who the man you are seeing is before you start having kids with him because you think that will keep him.

Maybe I'm all wet here but its what I think.
Yeah, I 100% believe that. This news makes me worry about my family and thankfully they have an intact family. I'm definitely not a player and try to pour my life into them. I heard today that every recent mass shooter came from a fatherless home. I don't know if that's true, but I absolutely believe it makes a difference.

Opiod deaths are up alarmingly. In 2015 more people died in the US from opiod ODs than all deaths in the Viet Nam war.

I am not at all surprised to see morons blame this on atheism and lack of religion. This is why there is no talking to it. It is clearly insane.
Thanks but not interested in turning this into another name call thread. Sincerely apologize if I offended your beliefs. That was not my intent.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, I 100% believe that. This news makes me worry about my family and thankfully they have an intact family. I'm definitely not a player and try to pour my life into them. I heard today that every recent mass shooter came from a fatherless home. I don't know if that's true, but I absolutely believe it makes a difference.
A lot of people anymore have 2 or more kids with different people. They refer to each other as their baby mama or baby daddy. That has to change or things are going to get worse. How to turn that around I have no idea. Kids have no idea of self worth with parents like that.

I have to commend you on sticking with your family. Too many people don't.