• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

US Govt says China has bad human rights; China responds by saying US is racist

viLky

ykLiv
Starts with the United States criticizing:

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Friday she was "deeply concerned" about it [China], and cited "negative trends" including Ai's detention.

A U.S. State Department report on global human rights released on Friday said Beijing had stepped up restrictions on lawyers, activists, bloggers and journalists, and tightened controls on civil society.

It has also increased its efforts to control the press, Internet and Internet access, the report said.
...and China's response:

The United States is beset by violence, racism and torture and has no authority to condemn other governments' human rights problems, China said on Sunday, countering U.S. criticism of Beijing's crackdown.

"The United States ignores its own severe human rights problems, ardently promoting its so-called 'human rights diplomacy', treating human rights as a political tool to vilify other countries and to advance its own strategic interests," said a passage from the Chinese report

"The United States is the world's worst country for violent crimes," said the report. "Citizens' lives, property and personal safety do not receive the protection they should."

"Racial discrimination is deeply rooted in the United States, permeating every aspect of social life," it said.
Source: China tells U.S. to quit as human rights judge | Reuters

This story reminds me of two kids bickering back and forth. The US starts and China's response is "Oh yeah, well you guys ___!!". Probably not the best way to handle the criticisms.

There isn't a "right" way to live, and this is one of my biggest gripes about the US. Let other people live their lives (Middle East, Asia) instead of trying to impose your ideologies upon other people. I never liked stepping into other people's business, it always makes me feel dirty.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Just a completely "Katrina perspective", if it matters.

I think China is more right in their statement than is the US. I am not bashing the US, I believe it is a wonderful country and the place I wish to call home someday, but it is hard to ignore the US criticizes other countries way of doing things, yet ignores the fact it does actually have the one of the highest rate of violent crimes in the world. And I do believe the US uses its own peoples welfare as a "tool" in a political game for gains more so than most countries.

I have not researched this and as I say, it is only what I perceive from the everyday media.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
There is a difference between how violent of a society the US has and how a country treats it's own people or those in it's detention.

Despite popular claims to the contrary, those arrested in the US are given full protections and habeas corpus is alive and well. We can all debate whether those tortured at Guantanamo Bay are afforded Constitutional protections or not but that is an issue of a separate thread.

The complaints about China's human rights violations are in regards to how China treats it's citizens and those detained. How citizen A in the US reacts to Citizen B violently is irrelevant to this discussion. It's a form of distraction by the Chinese government.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
There is a difference between how violent of a society the US has and how a country treats it's own people.

Despite popular claims to the contrary, those arrested in the US are given full protections and habeas corpus is alive and well. We can all debate whether those tortured at Guantanamo Bay are afforded Constitutional protections or not but that is an issue of a separate thread.

The complaints about China's human rights violations are in regards to how China treats it's citizens and those detained. How citizen A in the US reacts to Citizen B violently is irrelevant to this discussion. It's a form of distraction by the Chinese government.
Yes, you knew I would CO... lol

I can see your point, but also I still see how the treatment of the people of China leads to much less violent crimes as a country. Maybe the US's way of dealing with prisoners is less affective, causing people to be less deterred from doing violent crimes. I feel this is the point China is making.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Yes, you knew I would CO... lol

I can see your point, but also I still see how the treatment of the people of China leads to much less violent crimes as a country. Maybe the US's way of dealing with prisoners is less affective, causing people to be less deterred from doing violent crimes. I feel this is the point China is making.
But the way China treats those detained is inhumane is what ths US' point is. The presumption of innocence upon detention is what is different, and even when convicted.

China's point is "you all have more violent crimes and there is more racism" which is irrelevant to this point. Besides, comparing racist attitudes between a country that is mostly made up of one race to a country that is made up of many races seems rather silly to begin with.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
What you see also is totalitarianism works very well in combating crime and discrimination. But of course, it also strips citizens of the freedoms that we enjoy and creates a huge divide between wealth and poverty.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
After reading some of the stuff that Julian Assange uncovered about the US army during Wikileaks, and after studying the US lack of social welfare at school I think China raised a few valid points here. Although China may have raised some points about the US it's still a pretty messed up country in itself and I don't think it should be making these claims. In the end I wouldn't want to live in either country.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm with China on this one. Are the human rights issues in China? Yeah, sure.

America, as a whole, is driven by racil inequality and unfounded fears.

My father swears that Obama is a Muslim and that all Muslims are terrorists. Nearly everyone I've met in rural America feels that way if you ask them in private. Black people and white people still have strained race relations to this day and anyone that tries to deny it is an ignorant fool.

Politicians in the U.S. love to point fingers and, right now, they need a reason to try to sway the public against China. The race card is the easiest way.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm with China on this one. Are the human rights issues in China? Yeah, sure.

America, as a whole, is driven by racil inequality and unfounded fears.

My father swears that Obama is a Muslim and that all Muslims are terrorists. Nearly everyone I've met in rural America feels that way if you ask them in private. Black people and white people still have strained race relations to this day and anyone that tries to deny it is an ignorant fool.

Politicians in the U.S. love to point fingers and, right now, they need a reason to try to sway the public against China. The race card is the easiest way.
The problem is the accusation is against how China treats it's detained, your examples of how American society, even if you accept your claims as true, treats each other has nothing to do with how the American government treats its detained.

If I believe Obama is a terrorist and a Muslim, what does that have to do with how America, as a country and it's government, treats it's detained? I don't know about anyone else, and we can all point to an example here and there where someone detained was treated wrongly, but based on what I have seen and the laws in place here, I would much rather be accused of a crime here in the US rather than in somewhere like China. At least our laws do the best job it can to prevent and/or punish those who violate basic criminal procedures.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
While China is probably correct in saying that US has no authority to condemn other governments' human rights problems, it doesn't mean that US has pegged China incorrectly. If they were really concerned about fixing their issues or believe that US allegations are lies, then they would have spent more time correcting that and showing proof that they aren't, instead of bashing US in return.