US Drinking Age?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Aug 21, 2008.

?

US Drinking Age?

1. Keep it at 21

18.8%
  2. Lower it to 18

68.8%
  3. Get rid of the drinking age altogether

12.5%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Once again the US drinking age has come up for debate.

Old enough to vote, serve in the military ... and drink? - CNN.com

What do you think? Should it be lowered to 18? Get rid of it altogether?

I think lowering it to 18 is something that should definitely happen. If you can go fight and die in wars then you should be able to drink alcohol.

Many European countries don't even enforce a drinking age at all. Interestingly enough drinking is much less of a problem there because it's not as taboo of a subject. If it's legal apparently it's no fun to do it. Reverse psychology I suppose.

2. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

European cultures apparently don't go batshit insane over alcohol, ours does for some reason. That said I say we lower it to 18 because it's proven to be counterproductive leaving it where it is.

And no law will stop a determined person from getting liquor, period.

3. synyst

synyst Registered Member

Definitely. If I'm old enough to die for my country i should be old enough to drink a beer.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well I think a big reason they don't go crazy over alcohol is the fact that it's never something they are told they can't have. People will always want something more if you tell them they can't have it.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'd make the drinking age 19 to make it slightly more difficult for high school kids to get alcohol.

6. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

I think it should be lowered to 18, but I have mixed feelings about it.

I think we might see a spike in alcohol related problems at first as I think for the first several years its lowered kids will go nuts with it. When I was 17 I started drinking, and I didn't really know the ropes or really how to that responsible about it. I never drove drunk in those days, but I went way over board alot for the first few years, then I figured out how to drink and not be an ass.

After that intial spike though I think we'll be better off.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't believe in a lot of age related laws to be honest. To think that age denotes readiness for anything is kind of silly since age tells you nothing aside from how many years you've managed to live. I voted to remove it but let me explain myself:

First off, I would not want it removed immediately, I would favor a slow decline of age requirements until our country grows the fuck up and stops drinking itself into a shaky piss dripping stupor every Friday night. If the age were dropped to eighteen, underage drinking would skyrocket and there'd be a lot of angry people and very dead people. However, the drinking will taper off as the "rush" of illegal drinking will wear off and will no longer be "cool" or feel rebellious. Of course, this is the logical answer but most people seem to think that increasing anti-drug funding will make the problem "go away".

The problem with this thinking is that these are the same people that will end up endorsing a second prohibition since underage drinking will just continue to slowly rise as we do nothing but throw idiotic programs like DARE at it. Think of underage drinking as a terrifying ADD monster sitting outside a little village. If you let it in, it will surely damage some of the village but will soon lose interest and wander off. Almost all the thrill for kids doing pot, smoking cigarettes, or drinking is derived from the fact that they're not supposed to be doing it. So make it "uncool" and it will fade away.

8. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

I think it is a good idea to have your drinking supervised until your 21, at least to the extent that someone 21/older taking responsibility through purchasing it for them.

The comparison of an 18 yr old being sent to war but cannot buy alcohol is used very often but I don't think that should affect the drinking age... This should affect the age at which you can be sent to war.

We all know an 18 yr old that we would not consider an adult, some of which we would not buy alcohol for or recommend sending them to fight for our country.

Alcohol is nothing to play with, it can destroy your life at an instant of a bad decision or through a life of alcoholism.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't really care one way or another. Personally I dont feel teenagers or people my age are really mature enough to deal with the effects of drinking. And it shows in the amount of Driving while Intoxicated charges and Drunk Driving Deaths in the category of younger Americans.

To be completely honest it wouldnt hurt my feelings if the Drinking age was upped to 25. I know it probably never will be but in all honesty I just dont feel America's Youth is Mature enough to be drinking.

I completely agree with you. There is something about the Taboo of a Drinking age that makes it so attractive. I remember before I turned 21 there was nothing I wanted to do more than party and get wasted. Then after I hit the legal age it just sorta lost its appeal and I rarely if ever drink at all anymore. I'm sure theres some sort of influence by pop culture that aids to this "rebel" behavior

10. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

I think leaving it at 21 is fine, at least you have a few more years to mature a little, and it doesn't matter what age you put it, someone will usually go get it for underage people. Before I was 21 we had 2-3 different people we could go to and get them to buy us what we wanted. So it doesn't matter if you set it to 30 underage people will still get it if they want it.