• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

US didn't do enough to help Nigeria?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In a speech made public Tuesday, ambassador Adebowale Adefuye appeared to have taken US officials by surprise when he launched into a tirade against the US administration.

US denies failing to help Nigeria fight Boko Haram - Yahoo News
We have done all kinds of things to help Nigeria in their fight against Boko Haram. What do they expect us to do give them more aid and money or maybe its US troops they want.

Kind of makes you sick when you try to help someone and they just keep holding their hands out for more bitching we aren't doing enough. You do something. I'm not willing to send in troops. You have troops use them.

Thoughts?

Xaos

V.I.P.
We have done all kinds of things to help Nigeria in their fight against Boko Haram. What do they expect us to do give them more aid and money or maybe its US troops they want.

Kind of makes you sick when you try to help someone and they just keep holding their hands out for more bitching we aren't doing enough. You do something. I'm not willing to send in troops. You have troops use them.

Thoughts?
England are doing stuff to help so I'm happy, a little disappointed about US and certin places, UK are doing a lot of stuff.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The US is currently heavily involved in the fight against ISIS and Ebola. Everybody needs help with something, but the US is just one country. They have to prioritize how they spend all this money they don't have.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
England are doing stuff to help so I'm happy, a little disappointed about US and certin places, UK are doing a lot of stuff.
The US does a lot of stuff too and everything can't be left up to us. We have done plenty for Nigeria. They need to learn to help themselves. We basically support NATO, we are dealing with Ebola and ISIS.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Part of the problem is when the rest of the world sees the US doing #bringbackourgirls, they assume that we actually care enough to bring back the girls. Such as send in a Seal or Ranger Team. What they don't realize is for most people #bringbackourgirls was a bandwagon to jump on for a week to show some fake concern about a country they've rarely heard of and could never find on a map.

I agree with what's been said that we can't be everywhere fighting every battle. I'm just saying this campaign was really popular for about 2 weeks and I'm sure the people affected got excited thinking that we actually deeply cared about them and their problems. But the harsh reality is the US just needed something to cry about for a few minutes and now we're over that and have moved on to something else.

Unfortunately we're not going to actually #bringbackourgirls. What we're going to do is: "Washington has shared intelligence with the Nigerian army, begun training a new battalion and held high-level talks on the threat of Boko Haram, a US official said." and every once in a while send a few hashtags around twitter.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
#bringbackourgirls #kardashianbutt

Ah, the twitterverse... Where would we be without it? :D

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that #bringbackourgirls was more for emotional support. I never once thought it was a call to our government to send in the military. To bring them back you would have to know where they are. If we did I would think that information would have been shared with Nigerian officials.

I think we are spread out thin enough as it is. ISIS is a far more danger to us than Boko Haram. The drug cartels in Mexico are more of a danger to us than they are. We don't send troops into Mexico either. We can't move in everywhere.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think the world became sidetracked by ISIS, Ebola and Russia. If it had not been for those things there probably would have been more involvement by the world.

I doubt they ever find those girls. They may not even be in Nigeria anymore.

The Nigerian military knew where they were at least last springs but decided not to do anything out of fear of getting the girls killed. They also were going to trade Boko Haram members for the girls which was called off at the last minute. Also they got international help from several countries.

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's military has located nearly 300 school girls abducted by Islamic extremists but fears using force to try to free them could get them killed, the country's chief of defense said Monday.

Nigeria's Military Knows Location Of Girls Kidnapped By Boko Haram: Defense Official
There are those in Africa that feel like Nigeria, which is said has the best military on the continent, could handle this themselves.

Not everyone buys into the argument that Nigeria needs outside help. "What has happened to the girls is not what is beyond the capability of the Nigerian security forces to handle," says Mausi Segun, a Human Rights Watch researcher based in Borno state. "The reports we're getting out of the North is that nothing much is being done on the part of the security forces.

Should We Step in to Help Nigeria Find Kidnapped Girls? | Mother Jones

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think the world became sidetracked by ISIS, Ebola and Russia. If it had not been for those things there probably would have been more involvement by the world.

I doubt they ever find those girls. They may not even be in Nigeria anymore.

The Nigerian military knew where they were at least last springs but decided not to do anything out of fear of getting the girls killed. They also were going to trade Boko Haram members for the girls which was called off at the last minute. Also they got international help from several countries.

There are those in Africa that feel like Nigeria, which is said has the best military on the continent, could handle this themselves.
I think that if the Nigerians knew where the girls were, rescuing them is exactly the kind of thing America would be good at. Maybe we tried, or maybe there's a valid reason why we didn't. Its a bad situation.