Urine Soup

Bliss

Sally Twit
For as long as we can remember our hamster has been storing his food in the same place he does his business. He stores his food in the wheel on the side of his cage and he also urinates in there. He is then quite happy to go in the wheel and eat the food. It's disgusting but he seems happy doing it lol. He is a healthy and happy hamster so I don't think it's doing him any harm?
As for number two's, he has a corner of the cage where he does that so he doesn't shit where he eats - just pisses.

So, this is Hamlet. He's single. If anyone knows anyone interested let me know. He would be a great candidate for golden shower lovers.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Bliss, I am curious. Where would your pet learn such eating-pissing-manners? That is just vile! I'm sure Bear Grylls would agree that eating/drinking your own piss should only be done in extreme circumstances and not excessively.

Make him stop!

On a related note - how do you potty train a hamster?

Bliss

Sally Twit
That's exactly it. I wouldn't know how to stop him from doing it. I've thought about getting him a different cage but he'd need a wheel and I'm sure he'd do it there too.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
lolol

He's super cute. Looking at his pictures makes me want to get a hamster. I had one when I was a teenager. I can't even remember her name anymore. :(

wooly

I am the woolrus
Bliss, I am curious. Where would your pet learn such eating-pissing-manners?
Haha, are you suggesting it learnt from it's owner?? Bliss! How could you! that's disgusting :p

If you;re just conncerned about the health side of it, if hamster urine is anything like human urine, it shouldnt be doing him any damage!

Contrary to popular perception, urine is not a by-product of the body's waste disposal system but of blood filtration.

Nutrient-filled blood passes through the liver, where toxins are removed and excreted as solid waste. The purified blood then goes through another filtering process via the kidneys, where components for which the body has no immediate use are collected in a sterile, watery solution.

For that reason, urine is highly sterile. It consists of 95 percent water and five percent nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, proteins, antibodies and other beneficial ingredients.