• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss unusual/unlikely calming sounds

Tristan84

Registered Member
I go to day hab at the Resource Center here in Western NY, and we have iPads that we can use as an alternative for a desktop computer. So, I like to watch weird videos, in addition to the funny ones.

Back in July of this year, I injured my right knee, and had to go for an MRI, so I started researching what they sound like, since I hadn't had an MRI in 14 years prior to this. Here's one of the videos I found, to show you.

A few days ago, I was watching this video, and Josh, one of the staff in the room, said that the sound of an MRI scanner normally would cause anxiety, but for me, it calms me down.

Question: What weird sound(s) calms you?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This isn't a weird sound but I like to sleep with the window open when its not too hot or cold so I can hear the crickets, frogs, etc. Someone not used to that probably couldn't sleep for all the noise. They can get loud.

Also like the sound of rain hitting metal.

Traffic noise would drive me crazy but I know some people can't sleep without it because they are use to it.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Mosquitoes?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The sound of rain hitting metal is a common one for people as it is close to the sound of rushing water. We've adapted to be comforted by sounds that indicate an availability of resources, or indications of relative safety (i.e. absence of predators) such as the sound of songbirds singing (not too different from the sound of an MRI machine oddly enough). As for being calmed by the sound of a predator (i.e. Mosquitoes) well, you're just wierd, that's all. :D I suppose you'd also find the sound of a dentist drill calming (similar frequency). :p

What unusual sound do I find calming? No sound at all. In todays busy world, that is an unusual sound indeed. :)

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
The sound of rain hitting metal is a common one for people as it is close to the sound of rushing water. We've adapted to be comforted by sounds that indicate an availability of resources, or indications of relative safety (i.e. absence of predators) such as the sound of songbirds singing (not too different from the sound of an MRI machine oddly enough). As for being calmed by the sound of a predator (i.e. Mosquitoes) well, you're just wierd, that's all. :D I suppose you'd also find the sound of a dentist drill calming (similar frequency). :p

What unusual sound do I find calming? No sound at all. In todays busy world, that is an unusual sound indeed. :)

- Cham
No nitwit. The open windows.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Window screens? :p

BTW, you're still weird. :D
These people believe vaccines are the way to go. I doubt window screen management is within their grasp.

And you were wearing vaccine dunce cap until a month ago........