• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unusual Thanksgiving Parade Float

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So PETA wants to stop floats with fake animals on them. Just more PETA BS. I think they need to say home and not mess up everyone's holiday.

I have never seen Blackfish but I doubt SeaWorld mistreats their animals. If I'm wrong and they do they need to be closed down.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hilander, no offence but you don't really know what you are talking about here. This isn't just PETA being their usual crazy self, in fact it's way bigger than PETA altogether. The topic of SeaWorld keeping captive Orca whales is a worldwide controversy that has hundreds of thousands of people outraged. While some small PETA group may be protesting against the float, thousands more worldwide are also upset about it.

In fact, the float itself is actually inaccurate. The Orca whales on the float have dorsal fins that stick right up straight into the air, like that of a healthy whale. Every Orca whale SeaWorld has ever kept has had a drooping or curved over dorsal fin. To this day no one knows why this happens, and to this day only captive whales have ever had this, not free ones.

Whales are an animal that are used to having an entire ocean to live in, and seaworld keep them in tiny little pools. Pools that would be small for even some fish, but they keep WHALES in there. It's the equivalent of making a person live inside a bathtub for 25 years, or their whole life. The result? SeaWorlds Orca's are turning psychotic. They are depressed, one of them killed and ate a trainer (something that has never happened in the wild, Orca's are generally peaceful and have never attacked humans in the wild). They are also attacking low-flying birds which is also really rare and out of character for Orca's.

SeaWorld is trying to cover all this up because of money. They make a lot of money off these whales, it's big business, so they don't want the general public to know the truth about how unhappy the whales are and how cruel it is to keep them there.

That's why so many people are upset about this float. To you it may just seem like some annoying people are kicking up a fuss about a few balloon animals, but to the people who know the truth this float is a lie. It's a way of supporting a cruel and horrible industry and making things look okay to the public when they aren't. It's not just a float, it's symbolic of SeaWorld trying to hide the truth.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They shouldn't be allowed to keep them is such small areas then or not at all but I still think protesting this parade is stupid. They need to go protest SeaWorld. No one should be allowed to keep an animal in captivity and not take care of it or give it the room they need.

PETA does so many outlandish things that its hard to pay attention to them or believe them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
People are protesting at seaworld. And I agree with you, I don't like PETA as much as the next person, they are idiots and often do stupid things instead of actually getting a message across. But I think they have every right to protest the parade, as what SeaWorld are trying to do with the float is sneaky, horrible and misleading to the public. Just try take the PETA-factor out of this, people from all over the world, not Peta-related in any way are angry about this float. It's not just them.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
"The parade has never taken on, promoted or otherwise engaged in social commentary, political debate or other forms of advocacy," Cincinnati-based Macy's Inc. said in a statement this week.
They should have just stuck to their policy and kept out of matters like this. Of course something like this is going to cause an uproar from a large number of people. That was really stupid of them to get involved in.

SeaWorld says the accusations have "absolutely no basis" and that "the men and women who care for these animals at SeaWorld are dedicated in every respect to their health and well-being."
I've never been to SeaWorld and I only know what I've heard. From my experience, places like these do have people who care passionately for the animals or fish or birds or whatever their specialty is (sea animals in this obviously). The trainer that was killed by an Orca probably loved Orca's. The problem is, no matter how well you treat them or care for them, you cannot keep an animal like this in captivity, and in such small captivity at that. They are meant to roam the large oceans of the earth. It's just very wrong in my opinion.