• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unusual Pets

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Okay, before anyone reads any of the rest of this thread I wanted to make a note on it.

When I initially created this thread I think I may have chosen the wrong wording. "Rubbish" was in hindsight the wrong word to use. I appreciate everyone has pets for reason to themselves that they find them very rewarding.

It was never my intention to say that any animal was not a good pet to have, but I appreciate now that that is what I put and I can understand why people were upset in how I posted this. It was also never my intention to imply that any animal was rubbish in the sense of they should not be considered to be a worth while animal, again, in hindsight I did. For those I offended I apologise, in my life and on GF since 2011 it has never been my intention to offend, upset or anger anyone. I hope this explains it a little. People can learn from their mistakes, I hope I have done that and I hope that people can accept that I did make a mistake and it was not intentional. Please also note that I created this with the intention of a certain amount of humour in the idea of certain animals in certain situation where I do not believe they should be and should be allowed to roam free and not be kept in small cages or glass boxes.

Everyone has pets because they love them and the enjoy having them and if they give you pleasure and enjoyment then more power to you but for me there are some pets out there that are odd.

Stick-insects - I kept my fair share of stick insects when I was younger but now that I think back about them they really were the most boring pet I have ever owned, they are not attractive or friendly and basically the clue is in the name, they look like sticks!

Frogs/Toads - For me frogs belong in the wild breeding, making baby frogs and basically living their lives the way they see fit and I know they can be fascinating to watch when you are at a pond or in a wildlife home but I just think frogs or toads just are not interesting, sure they hope about and go "ribbit" (huh-huh, rib) but I wouldn't ever keep one as a pet.

Worms - I get why fishermen have worms and I understand worms have their uses in the world but why would anyone keep them as a pet? They do very little other than move around in the dirt making tunnels, which I guess is kinda cool, in fact, I am wrong, worms are pretty cool:

Snails - Kind of the same as worms, I have never heard of anyone keeping a snail as a pet but I am pretty sure some people may, they don't really do much except make a mess on the floor and move their little things around when they find something interesting, well blow me down, if that isn't exciting I am not sure what is!

What do you think of unusual pets such as those listed? Is it fair? Should they be left alone in the world to live their lives?

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
No animal makes my list of "rubbish pets". No animal is rubbish, every animal is just trying to makes it's way and live it's life like we are. I feel sad that some poor animals end up in homes where their owners think of them as rubbish. They didn't ask to be there. They are living beings too. I find this thread very offensive.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
No animal makes my list of "rubbish pets". No animal is rubbish, every animal is just trying to makes it's way and live it's life like we are. I feel sad that some poor animals end up in homes where their owners think of them as rubbish. They didn't ask to be there. They are living beings too. I find this thread very offensive.
Crou, in no way was stating in any way that the animal itself was rubbish. Every animals has the right to be an animal. What I was saying is that these animals are not good animals to be caged and used as pets.

Elanor

Registered Member
I agree with Crou. Just because an animal may not be classed as exciting or interesting does not make it "rubbish". They all have their place in the world, and there are some people that genuinely care about these kinds of pets. Goldfish are actually quite nice fish. They need a lot of space, not those silly little tanks that shops sell as goldfish tanks. If they have the space they swim around quite happily, and grow to be quite big, and can be nice to watch.
------
Crou, in no way was stating in any way that the animal itself was rubbish. Every animals has the right to be an animal. What I was saying is that these animals are not good animals to be caged and used as pets.
Some people may want a pet that they find interesting and is fairly low maintenance. Or doesn't demand attention like a cat or dog does.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Okay, fair enough, I apologise if I offended anyone in this post. It was crass of me to create it, I honestly did not think it would offend people in the way that it has done but clearly it has, this was short sighted. I have emailed a mod asking for its closure and or removal.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have altered this thread and wish to bump it so that people are aware of this.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That's odd because just recently you made a thread chastising SeaWorld because killer whales are being kept in captivity and not allowed to be in the wild. You compared it to a human being kept in a bathtub their whole lives. Granted they aren't pets at SeaWorld but it can be easily assumed you would object to someone keeping a killer whale as a pet, thus I would assume your response would be killer whales or dolphins.

Gin is asking what kind of pets are odd, not these animals are no good and should be done away with. I have nothing against snakes or spiders but I don't want one in my house. I don't understand keeping one in a tank as a pet. There is no way I would keep any of them as a pet. Same with mice or rats.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Lol CO, I've never in my life met anyone who completely fails to understand everything as much as you. A killer whale is not rubbish. It's a beautiful creature. It's just too hard to keep in captivity unless you can build a pool the size of a large lake, small enough for a small ocean... even then it may not be enough. Does this make an animal rubbish? No, it does not. Because like I said, no animals are rubbish. I don't even know how you brought those two things together to be honest. Your brain works in hilarious ways.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have nothing against these animals but I don't want them for a pet. If I'm going to take care of something and call it a pet I want one that can recognize its name, come when I call it and can return any affection that I give it.

I really don't understand people wanting to keep reptiles, amphibians or bugs for pets but if they want to its their decision.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
In Britain where ginock is from, rubbish is a way milder word than how its often used here in Canada. Considering Crouton's reaction, its probably a bit more of a severe descriptive word as well. No one's saying any of these animals are garbage and shouldn't exist. Pretty sure everyone on GF is unanimous about being nice to animals (I'm generalizing of course, so lets not start nitpicking about meat eaters and derail this thread lol). I speak pretty fluent ginock, and what I gathered from his OP is that the animals he chose, he just doesn't understand the attraction of having them as pets. Nothing offensive about it.

When I initially created this thread I think I may have chosen the wrong wording. "Rubbish" was in hindsight the wrong word to use. I appreciate everyone has pets for reason to themselves that they find them very rewarding.

It was never my intention to say that any animal was not a good pet to have, but I appreciate now that that is what I put and I can understand why people were upset in how I posted this. It was also never my intention to imply that any animal was rubbish in the sense of they should not be considered to be a worth while animal, again, in hindsight I did. For those I offended I apologise, in my life and on GF since 2011 it has never been my intention to offend, upset or anger anyone. I hope this explains it a little. People can learn from their mistakes, I hope I have done that and I hope that people can accept that I did make a mistake and it was not intentional. Please also note that I created this with the intention of a certain amount of humour in the idea of certain animals in certain situation where I do not believe they should be and should be allowed to roam free and not be kept in small cages or glass boxes.
(Just quoting in case people didn't see the explanation in the OP. Also, ginock, you didn't make a mistake, so stop fretting about it, you made a good thread)

Anyways, now that my little blurb explaining how i'm planning to interpret and respond to the OP, I'll try to think of an animal that makes no sense to keep as a pet.

Turtle. Why would you want a pet turtle? How do they make good pets? Especially since most people who have a pet turtle, don't have a very large terrarium or whatever for em, Even some of the larger ones are still a glass box lol. Where's the fun in a turtle in a box on a log eating leafs lol. Personally, I find turtles to be WAY cooler to experience when they're stealing bait or swim. They're not pets, they're cool animals to watch. Not like a dog or a cat for example who you don't just watch but form bonds and connections with.