• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unusual contagious cancer among clams

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
The discovery of a contagious cancer spreading among edible clams off the northeast US and Canadian coasts has stunned scientists and raised new questions about marine health, according to research published Thursday.
Unusual contagious cancer spreads among clams off North American coasts

Yet another animal that has a contagious cancer. This one in clams is a type of leukemia. The Tasmanian Devil suffer from facial tumors that are contagious and so do canines, theirs spread like a venereal disease.

I have to wonder if the cancer in the clams isn't caused by pollution or is it something they have been suffering from for a very long time. They say they are still safe to eat, I'm assuming that is after they are cooked, but since they have no idea if it can spread to other species are people safe handling them when catching them? Also brings ups another question, what about some of the cancers in humans? Are any of them contagious?

Thought?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Now Im really happy that I dont like clams but I do like oysters so I hope that cancer doesnt spread to them. But yeah it probaly is the polluted ocean water thats making it easy for clams to get that cancer virus. Also all the radiation thats leaking into the ocean from Fukushima in Japan. And now Japan wants to dump tons more of that nuclear water into the ocean in 2017. :eek:

Btw I wouldnt have any worries about Tasmanian Devils. LOL! They attack anything that moves and they even almost kill each other when they mate. Tasmanian Devils are seriously scary animals!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They may be mean but still contagious cancer. Hope people don't end up with a contagious cancer. They say the clams are safe to eat but at the same time they don't know if it can spread to other species like humans.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
I find that alarming to be honest. I suspect it is pollution-based - can it really be anything else alien in the clam's eco-system? - though on the NE Coast?
If it was the Pacific ... I could readily understand that, given the industrial and domestic waste, and radioactivity, floating about there.
The waters up there (on the NE Coast, Greenland, Iceland etc) have traditionally been seen as being cleaner and freer of toxins.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe those waters aren't as clean as we might think Knight. Seems ocean life has been suffering everywhere. This could have possibly been brought in from elsewhere.

I do hope they can find out why this got started and maybe come up with a way to stop it.

I don't care for clams either Dr4gon but I do like oysters. Hopefully this won't spread to them or other species.