• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Playstation 4 Until Dawn

Konshentz

Konshentz

"Until Dawn is designed to be replayed multiple times as players will not be able to understand the full story with only just one playthrough. Each playthrough will last about 9 hours in length and the game mechanics will utilize a new in-game system called the “Butterfly Effect” in which any choice of action by the player may cause major unforeseen consequences later on. Throughout the game players will make difficult decisions during ethical or moral dilemmas such as to sacrifice one character in order to save another as one example. The “Butterfly Effect” system blurs the line between right and wrong decisions and it is possible for players to keep all eight characters alive through to having them all killed, allowing for many different paths and scenarios players can take and seemingly endless multiple endings. Until Dawn will have a strict auto-save system to prevent players from reloading a previous save file to an earlier point in the game if they regret an in-game decision that they have made."

I created a thread about this game about 3 years ago, when it was headed to the PS3 and would be controlled with the Move. A lot has changed since then. Its now a PS4 exclusive and will be played with a controller. A lot of other stuff has been changed as well.

This game looks incredible. Not only are the graphics pretty great, the butterfly system looks like a lot of fun. I know a few of you here are not big fans of horror, so this game won't be for you, but as a person who grew up on cheesy slashers, this absolutely has a chance to be my game of the year. It's got its worked cut out for it, with Arkham Knight and Fallout 4 coming the same year... but who knows. Anything is possible. Haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I played through the first four chapters last night. Very good game so far, I'm loving it. It looks beautiful, has good voice acting, interesting gameplay and the way the story is set up is pretty cool. I'm excited to play the rest.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I finished this last night. Was a pretty good game, once I will definitely play again, as it's designed to play many times and experience a completely different outcome each time.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I loved this game. My favorite of 2015 and one that I can definitely add to my very short 10/10 list.

There's really nothing like this out there. The closest things would be Heavy Rain and Beyond, but this game is surperior to those two is every way.

I won't spoil anything but I really enjoyed how the story played out.

You can tell the writer really enjoys horror movies and gets them. I loved the intentional cheesiness and all the tropes.

I really hope we get another one from them... even if it's not a sequel. Just another horror game with the butterfly effect.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Nothing like this out there? Life is Strange is so much like this! In terms of gameplay I found the two very similar. It's almost a new genre in itself that's part film, part game, all awesome! I know a lot of people complain about this type of game not being interactive enough but I love them so far.

I've only played through this once so far, but I hope to play a few more times at least because I know the story can go a lot of different ways.

I love Sam. Haha my obsession with keeping her alive and well may have swayed a lot of my decisions in the game.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Life is Strange is similar sure, like an adorable kid brother/sister but it's got nothing on this when it comes to choices and the butterfly effect. Your choices feel a lot heavier in this because you can kill every single one of these characters. Plus, there's like 256 endings.

The fact that it's in the horror genre also gives it a boost... but maybe that's just me. Haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I dunno I feel like the choices in LIS are pretty powerful. You haven't played the latest ep yet, but it get's intense. Until Dawn is amazing, but it's set up as a game that parodies those cheesy horror slasher fics where all the teenagers go out and get killed. Sure it's horror, but it isn't designed for us to take it overly seriously.

LIS on the other hand feels like a more serious story, especially after the latest ep. Like in the this sure, all the teens die in gruesome slasher type ways, but none of them actually had an emotional effect on me in the way that something like Kate's suicide in LIS did. I knew that story-wise UD was supposed to be cheesy like that.

I feel like both games are extremely polished though and I loved both of them. It's great that these games are coming out now where your decisions do actually have a strong impact on the story. I hope more games like this come out soon.

Konshentz

Konshentz
No matter how intense it gets, the choices will never be as important to me as the ones in Until Dawn. You are responsible for all 8 characters' lives. All of them can die based on your choices. That's just not the case when it comes to LIS or the Telltale games. I guess you can't knock them, they chose to make a game with a little less freedom. They wanted the story to go little more their way and I can respect that.

I could see how some of the events could effect you more in LIS, that comes with the kind of story they're telling. Until Dawn is definitely being cheesy on purpose. I find a lot of LIS dialogue cheesy, but I'm 90% that wasn't on purpose. Haha.

Plus, put those games side to side... look at how pretty Until Dawn is! Haha.

With the great reception Until Dawn got and the continued success of Telltale, I definitely think we'll get more of these games. They'll eventually beat this type of game into the ground but until then, we can certainly enjoy them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Haha yes it's almost ironic, LIS is a more serious story, but unintentionally has the cheesiest dialogue ever. While Until Dawn is basically a parody of a cheesy film genre but it's dialogue is quite good and voice acting is amazing.

I feel like both games are visually stunning in their own, very different ways. It's too hard to compare their graphics because they are both going for such a different style.

I think the reason the death in LIS effected me more is because with Until Dawn I expected it. The whole game is set up like a slasher flick, in all the trailers etc they say things like 'you help decide who lives and who dies'. So I went into the game knowings lots of people would die and expecting gory slasher film deaths.

LIS however marketed itself as more of a high school drama, and your not supposed to die in high school haha. So when serious stuff does happen in that game it hits me more because I wasn't expecting it, or prepared for it, where as when I played Until Dawn I enter it with the mentality of "Alright, time to kill some teenagers!"

Although I do admit to trying as much as I could to make sure Sam stayed alive in Until Dawn. She was my instant fave haha.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
Sam, Mike, Matt and Chris were my favorites. My first time through I only saved Mike & Matt out those, along with Ashley and Emily. It was a bummer.

I'm curious to see what kind of DLC they're gonna do. I saw their Twitter account is already asking the people if they want a sequel. Haha.