"Unschooling"

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by AngelsPeak, Jul 28, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Some parents in North Texas have adopted a new way of teaching their children. Basically, the child decides what they want to learn instead of going by a structured curriculum.

'Unschooling' Lets Children Dictate Their Learning - cbs11tv.com

I honestly can't say that I'm totally against this. I do understand the value of a good education and its potential to move you forward in the world; but, on the other hand, if a child grows up learning about what they are truly interested in, then it seems to me that their learning experience becomes a passion rather than a requirement and something they may resent.

Thoughts?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

"Unschoolers believe in an unstructured education. They let the children dictate what they want to learn, how they want to learn it, and when. The idea is not to force them into learning what they don't want to know."

Hmm. I'm not sure. When kids are that young, isn't their interest in learning (method and field) influenced by their experiences and exposure? There should be at least a way to provide those and see what would be most efficient in their learning experience. I'm not sure about just relying on "wants" because some of the valuable things I've learned in the past wasn't certainly something I'd say I wanted to learn that time (nor did I like the method) -- but the thing is, we don't really appreciate this until we're older.

3. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

There are some things you need to know to make it through life. English, and some math are two things that come to mind. To a point I can understand because there is so much I learned in school I never use and probably have forgotten. I think it could work if some basic things were still required and structured.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Yeah, I agree with this. There are basics everyone needs to learn and should be taught. I agree it could work if we're talking in addition to some basic requirements.

5. Ultra_Critical

Ultra_Critical Registered Member

So we're looking at happiness vs. potential? The concept is very iffy in my opinion. My interests changed dramatically from the time I was eight to the time that I was eighteen. Had I just learned about what I wanted to learn about I probably wouldn't be nearly as well rounded as I am; I would have skipped science all-together and probably most of English, even though I'm glad I learned a lot of fundamental things both courses had to offer. However, since it is a relatively new method the benefits have yet to be fully realized (or not).

6. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

This takes me back to the ideas I have aroudn the ideas of prosecuting young children: A child's brain is just not developed enough to make this kind of decision...they aren't aware what kind of skills different educational areas may develop, what interests or talents they may unlock, and how they'll translate into their futures.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I wonder if they're atheists? I mean, if they truly believed in this sort of thing, they would not preach the least bit of religion upon their kids...

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think this is a really bad idea, especially at the elementary school and middle school level. The things that are taught at those levels are things everybody should know, not to mention kids that age are too young to make decisions that will affect their futures and career paths.

I could see it working for high school though. I always hated how I was required to take four full years of English, two years of a foreign language, etc, when my time could have been much better spent taking "elective" classes for careers I was interested in pursuing.

9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Well, if they ARE religious, in order for it to truly be unschooling, they wouldn't be able to preach. Although, that's how I think religious parents should be in the first place. Be examples, but don't instruct on religion. However that's a topic for another thread lol.

I don't see this kind of thing working so well. There are some things do need to learn, that they won't ever want to learn. What kid is interested in grammar? They don't have enough life experience to have the foresight to see that they will need it. At the first sign of it being boring, they'll move on to the art portion.

The only way I could see this working is if you set guidelines on what they have to learn, but give the freedom for them to learn it how they want. If they wanna learn by watching a video, then fine. If they want you to show them, that's cool. The only restriction is that you want them to learn it by a certain time.

As you get to highschool age, then I can see a student making wiser choices about what to learn, and so then you can give them more freedom in that area. By then they're mature enough to be thinking about their well being more than their excitement factor. (Well, a lot of them anyways). This way, they'll pick courses that they want, and know they need, instead of just the ones that seem fun.

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I guess I don’t see how an education which helps you to make your way in the world, whether it be a structured curriculum dictated by society, or one of a child’s choosing has anything to do with religion? To me, if you have a belief in God and faith in what is waiting for you, then why would it even be a choice offered to a child you’re raising?
    Religion is about catering to an audience of one, not about pleasing the rest of the world.
    So no, I don’t think only an atheist would allow their child to choose to learn what they’re passionate about in terms of this worlds education Spiritual growth is not about pleasing man and what the rest of the world believes a child needs to know, it’s simply not a choice in a house with a true belief.