• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
About 90% of what Congress and the President do on an every day basis is unconstitutional and is not what was intended by the framers of the Constitution but as Americans we've grown accustomed to it and accept it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Hey steph, I applaud your unpopular opinions. It takes guts to think differently, and you definitely laid down some unpopular opinions lol.

I think, joking aside, my most unpopular opinion is that the words that society considers offensive, when taken in their original context, are not offensive.

Mainly let's look at the word retard. Look up the word in the dictionary. It means Slower. It means 'things progressing at a speed that is less than the speed of the median speed'.

At work, we make a product called Pizza Oven and Pizza Oven Bottom. We use a special cement called Fondue Cement. We have to use a special sand called Minerals. lol. There's a chemical name but I forget it.

We mix up the ingredients, but we also add a liquid called Retarder. Thats' the name on the package. Retarder. Whats the purpose of this chemical? It makes the mixture harden slower. It Slows things. Thats what retard means. To slow.

So back in the past, when people called mentally disabled people retarded, I doubt it was meant as a demeaning label. It was just the word that meant these people thought slower than a "normal" person.

My unpopular opinion isn't that mentally disenabled people should be referred to as retards. Its' that the word retard shouldn't be a word that we don't use. It does come across as offensive when used to refer to the mentally disenabled, but when used as an insult to someone who displays a lack of forethought, maturity and intelligence, I think it's okay. calling someone who says something stupid, a retard, isn't insulting to the mentally challenged, its just an insult to the person being stupid. Saying that an idea that is obviously ill-thought is retarded, isn't bad.

Saying "that's retarded" doesn't mean 'I hate all people that were born with mental difficulties'. It says "I think what you are saying signifies that your mental progression is slower than most people I associate with on a regular basis"

BigBob

Registered Member
Like you said Danny, the word "Retarded" isn't used the way some people make it seem.

Like you said, you use something at work that's called "Retarder". Down here, we use a similar word, "Retardant".

I feel similar about words like "fag", "gay", "homo", racial words etc. Obviously, we don't use anything called "Fagger", "Homoant" etc. I just personally have no problem saying, or hearing those types of words.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Love does not make sex better

Taliesin

Registered Member
My unpopular opinions:

Adults who believe in God are not basically like adults who believe in Santa or fairy magic.

Religion is not the cause of all the world's problems. Fundamentalists and greedy people are, and those exist in any group, religious or not.

Playing video games does not make one a violent, gun toting psychopath. However, America is in dire need of tighter gun control laws.

Just because animation is CGI does not automatically make it better than traditional forms of animation.

Sports "personalities" are glorified way too much by society and the media. Can we please just ignore them so that they'll shrivel up and roll away?

Seth McFarlane and his "creative" output are vastly overrated. Can we please just ignore him so that he will shrivel up and roll away?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree Bob, both of those shows are overrated. The Simpsons can be funny at times but its not that funny. I also agree with Eph about McFarlane, he was somewhat funny as Ted but overall he is so overrated as well.

BigBob

Registered Member
As long as I can't see Seth's face, I'm fine with him. There's something about what he looks like and the voices that just don't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.