• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unmarried couples face jail for cohabitating

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would like to say this is one of those archaic laws on the books that is never enforced but in Florida you can go to jail for living together. They have charged 700 people for this between 2006 and 2011 using this law that was written in 1868.

Lawmakers are attempting to change this but this will be the second attempt as previous efforts failed, really. What century are these people living in? This is one of those things that should be a personal choice.

Thoughts?

Living in sin: Unmarried Florida couples can face jail for cohabitating — and hundreds have been charged

dDave

V.I.P.
What? You can go to jail for that? I've never heard of that.

It's definitely not something I would do but I was under the impression that people had the right to live wherever and with whoever they wanted to.

Clare

Registered Member
I'm really, really surprised there's a law against this still. Surely they can get it changed now...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Apparently Mississippi and Michigan have this law as well. Pretty draconian by today's standards. I'm surprised they haven't been able to overturn it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder if Mississippi and Michigan arrest people for it. There are a lot of stupid laws still on the books in some states but they don't enforce them.

Apparently some of Florida's law makers don't want it overturned.

I bet there are thousands of people in Florida living together so I doubt everyone is arrested for it. Someone must have to complain about it.