• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies "Unknown" with Liam Neeson

shelgarr

Registered Member
It is too similar to many other movies with this premise. Characters are well played though, but then it seem like the writers resorted to a formula ending. All in all though, entertaining and glad I went. My recommendation though is that you wait for the DVD to come out.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I watched it yesterday. I think at some point I felt the pace could go faster. But I do like the feeling when I didn't know where it was going and possible predictable scenarios were incorrect. :) I also noticed the car chase scenes and they're not so bad - though they don't do outdo Ronin.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I really did not see anything formulaic about the ending.

Especially the demise of Diane Kruger, which is not only unceremonious or overbearing, yet also quite a shock - Also, the protrayal of the would-be hitmen on Neeson's tail are notably stupid in places. Which made for relief in the film, I don't know if that was the creator's intention, yet the way they went about their silly business struck me as insipid. They're like keystone cops, honestly, when you look closer they are no use nor ornament.

Regardless of that, I see where you're coming from and what you're getting at. Although, an action film is not necessarily meant to be unpredictable, a vast load of the time they aren't. The entertainment comes from the car chases and general mayhem that's going off, even in the 'gritty' ones like this. It just entertainment, and on the merits involved with such as thing - I think it passes. Although, I doubt I'll be buying the DVD.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Good to see some reviews on this movie, I wanted to go watch it. But now after reading all this, I may wait till the DVD comes out, but it looks like a movie I would enjoy.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Halfeaten...

I think the formula part I'm referring to is:

how the assassination of Bressler was going to be disguised as an assassination of the arab guy.

The car chase scenes were remarkable.

Impact

V.I.P.
I really want to see it. Just from viewing the trailer I got the vibe that it would be similar to Taken. Which i'm not complaining about, I really loved that movie.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I definitely got the Taken vibe too. I've really enjoyed Neeson in the last three films I've seen him in (Taken, Chloe & The A-Team), so I'm hoping this turns out to be another one I can add to that list. I had planned on waiting until DVD any ways.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Halfeaten...

how the assassination of Bressler was going to be disguised as an assassination of the arab guy.

I agree that it didn't cross my mind, even with the hint they gave about the book and the previous conversation related to it.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Halfeaten...

So just that little bit then? Not the rest.
The
assassination
is hardly of much consequence in this film, being an action film, as
Bressler
is hardly the guy most people would be bothering with. It makes no difference to the quality of the entertainment.
And so, the
assassination plot
was convoluted, which to add a bit of plausability, it probably would be. No matter how easy it is to spot, it makes some sort of sense in the plot.

So, the plot is rehashed a bit - from 'what', I'd like to know - I doubt there are a vast deal of other films that portray this, but there WILL always be a few. I mean, films continue to be churned out, and getting one with originality throughout the entire picture is something you probably won't find thesedays - with a few seldom exceptions.
In which case, judging a film on sameyness is a pretty bad way to go, because I'm afraid it's something that will always arise now, more often than not. It's a sad thing.
I prefer judging on 'presentation' and The Unknown presented it's little scenes of action amicably. I mean, it's no masterpiece, but it does the job well enough.

Last edited: