United States give $3bn-a-year to Israel !!

R

rex3

The united states gives $3bn a year to Israel, Israel is the highest donar reciever from the United States. I really dont know why this is when africans need it much more. I mean Israel is the mighteast country in that region, the only one with the nuclear bomb (even the olmert admitted)....

did any one know this, if so why!!!!!!! this money is the US tax-payers money!!!!

L

leopardpm

The united states gives $3bn a year to Israel, Israel is the highest donar reciever from the United States. I really dont know why this is when africans need it much more. I mean Israel is the mighteast country in that region, the only one with the nuclear bomb (even the olmert admitted)....

did any one know this, if so why!!!!!!! this money is the US tax-payers money!!!!
supposedly to support 'our interests' (as defined by government) in the area there.

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
The US actually gives very little money to Israel. What you're seeing as money given to Israel is actually only loan guarantees. Since Israel has never defaulted on a loan, the taxpayer money is pretty safe.

Why not give money to African countries? Who would you give it too. The leaders are corrupt, the countries are torn by warlords who would steal from any aid. Israel invented the cel phone. Who do you think is a better bet?

I

Ibby

Why do you think they are the mightiest nation in that region? It's because we give them money and military aid. The US does this because we are close allies with Israel and we want a pal in the middle east.

Too bad we are pissing everyone else off in that section of the world. If it ever gets to the point that they can all turn on us and Israel and the rest of the world can say 'Piss Off'.... I will be moving to Europe.. just so you know!!!

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I'd much rather give 3 billion to African countries in the form of micro-credit than give it to Israel. Given Israel's high GDP, advanced military, and the fact that they're at peace with quite a few of their neighbors, I think they no longer need our help except as a diplomatic mediator.

Sim

Registered Member
Too bad we are pissing everyone else off in that section of the world. If it ever gets to the point that they can all turn on us and Israel and the rest of the world can say 'Piss Off'.... I will be moving to Europe.. just so you know!!!
But then, Israel is a democratic republic, while all the Arab states around are some kind of dictatorships. So Israel has some good arguments on its side.

But I also think this doesn't mean we (in the West) should give Israel a blank cheque for all their actions. Some things they did and do are not suited to bring a peace with the Palestinians closer. The US could definately do some more to put some pressure on Israel.

But eventually, it were always the Palestinians who were best at missing great opportunities. For example, Arafat, who turned down Barak's offer mediated by Clinton in 2000. That was a great chance for peace. But Arafat was not ready.

And now Palestine is in a civil war between Fatah and Hamas about the question if they should accept Israel's right to even exist, or if the final destruction of Israel and the claiming of all Israeli lands should be official Palestinian policy ... not the best prospects.

So yes, Israel does need some help from NATO countries.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Let's reverse it: why, even before Hamas was elected, did the US give far less aid to the Palestinians, even though they have much more need for the money in terms of infastructure and economic development?

Sim

Registered Member
Let's reverse it: why, even before Hamas was elected, did the US give far less aid to the Palestinians, even though they have much more need for the money in terms of infastructure and economic development?
Yes that's true; the US left it to EU countries to fund the creation of a Palestinian infrastructure ... which then was bombed into the ground again by Israel. Is a bit annoying to see your money wasted like that.