Unfaithful Politicians?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Rudy, Huckabee, JFK, Clinton . . .

What do you think of political figures that cheat on their spouses? Does it tarnish their image? How about their political image? Would your vote change depending on knowledge of an affair involving a political figure?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Not really. Maybe I should but I don't really care much. What I look for is their political philosophy and how they think the government should be run. My vote wouldn't change.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Not really. Maybe I should but I don't really care much. What I look for is their political philosophy and how they think the government should be run. My vote wouldn't change.
You don't think their faithlessness to their spouses speaks to their overall dedication to a commitment?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes it would.

Heres why. If they cant maintain an organized and successful personal life. What reason do I have to believe that they can successfully orchestrate and run politics? Because thats what lasting relationships are, politics. You learn to work together in order to make things happen... so if I see a candidate that cant keep his/her home life working it sends a very negative message to me. I personally feel that politics should be serious, I don't feel its as serious as it should be and that's a large reason as to why these State Budgets are such a joke, why California is behind what now a couple months past the "make or break" line that Arnold set for the Budget Deadline. Its a simple rule that I use in life, if you aren't in control of your own life, then you shouldn't be in a position to control other people.

disclaimer: This is a general rule, obviously there are exceptions to it

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yes it would.

Heres why. If they cant maintain an organized and successful personal life. What reason do I have to believe that they can successfully orchestrate and run politics? Because thats what lasting relationships are, politics. You learn to work together in order to make things happen... so if I see a candidate that cant keep his/her home life working it sends a very negative message to me. I personally feel that politics should be serious, I don't feel its as serious as it should be and that's a large reason as to why these State Budgets are such a joke, why California is behind what now a couple months past the "make or break" line that Arnold set for the Budget Deadline. Its a simple rule that I use in life, if you aren't in control of your own life, then you shouldn't be in a position to control other people.

This is basically how I feel sometimes, but I think it's very arguable that personal life and business life are easily separated and constitute different mindsets. I mean, Clinton is not very good at the whole marriage thing, but he got our country a massive ass surplus so his politics were just fine despite a failing personal life.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is basically how I feel sometimes, but I think it's very arguable that personal life and business life are easily separated and constitute different mindsets. I mean, Clinton is not very good at the whole marriage thing, but he got our country a massive ass surplus so his politics were just fine despite a failing personal life.
See, that's pretty much how I feel. I do think Clinton was a pretty good president despite his personal life. I will say it is a factor on whether or not I vote for someone, not THE factor on whether or not they get my vote.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Then again, you have a man like good ol' Rudy from New York who has had fifty three wives in the last thirty three minutes so how much faith can you be ready to put in him you know? I think their personal lives in terms of faith and loyalty is important to monitor but I don't think it's pivotal.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yes it would.

Yeah, I completely agree. I think Clinton is one exception to the rule. He was a good prez in spite of his misgivings, but then again Clinton was never really tested in the way many modern leaders were.

Regardless of your where you are I think you can have respect for the position to not be screwing around. In the entire history, Clinton was one of 42 presidents, Mark Sanford is one of 50 govs, Senator X is one of 100 Senators and so on. I want a leader than can at least respect that honor.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It kinda matters to me, but not that much. It is a reflection on a politician's character, but isn't as big of a deal as a lot of the policies. Maybe bigger than some of the policies I don't care as much about.

PS - This has got to be a record for most conservatives praising a liberal president in one thread in GF history! :lol: