Unfair Grading of Required Classes

Discussion in 'School' started by Mirage, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think schools should require kids to take classes that are based more on natural ability than direct effort?

By this I mean classes or activities such as art, choir, band, sports in gym class, etc.

I have a friend who was force to take a choir class and he got a bad grade because he was "tone deaf". That's what the teacher wrote on his report card.

It's the same with art classes and sports that are required in gym class. While gym is usually more lenient on the "effort based grading", something like art or band is going to be more strict based on performance.

How do you think such classes should be graded if they are required classes?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If classes like music or art are required classes, then they should be graded on effort just like gym class. You don't have to be a great athlete to get a good grade in gym, you just have to try hard. That's how I think most classes should be. There are some things some people just will never be good at. For me it was writing and poetry. I shouldn't be given a bad grade for something my brain can't do.

3. Mirage

Well, to a degree I would agree with you. I wasn't the best in math and I wouldn't argue in favor of grading math tests based on effort.

4. Major

Math is something you can learn, even if some people are better at it then others. There is always a right answer. Stuff like writing or art is a lot different. Some kids just don't have the creative mind for it.

5. Mirage

I guess I was never in a poetry class so I don't know how those would be graded. I did take creative writing but it was an elective. So people who didn't want to be in it simply didn't sign up for it. I imagine a poetry class would be the same as that.

6. Major

There are always poetry assignments in standard required English classes. Either analyzing poetry or writing poetry. I can't do it and I don't think it's something I could ever be taught.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think the problem is the classes they force you into. I hate having a required curriculum especially in college. It also depends heavily on the teacher. Some teachers, like the one you seem to describe, are quite inept at their jobs and it shows in their students' performance.

8. Mirage

What about foreign language classes? For some reason I was just horrible in those classes and yet I was still forced to take them. Needless to say I didn't get very good grades.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I've taken art classes and music classes, but they were graded on you practicing, putting in effort, and showing improvement.