Unemployment

sugar_lump

Registered Member
I have been out of work since July. This has been the longest I have been out of work and it's driving me crazy.
I have always been a hard and keen worker and I have a lot to offer a company. I have tried everything in my power to get another job....joined jobsites, agencies etc. I'm even claiming benefits now because I am struggling financially.
I know we are in a recession but this is ridiculous. Im not giving up and I'm applying for jobs everyday and I have the support of my fiance (well sort of) but It's really getting me down.
It seems like everyone just wants to cast me aside and It questions my value. Why doesn't anyone want to employ me? There are loads of lazy and dumb people in work so why can't I do it.
I'm at breaking point now.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
First off, try your best to calm down. After all this struggling, it's easy to get flustered and irrational. Not saying you are, but it can happen when you're trying so hard and failing to acheive your goals.

Suffice to say, all we can really tell you is to keep on keepin' on. That's all you can do these days. Jobs are becoming scarce but you have to apply everywhere. Hell, even if you have to flip burgers at McDonald's it's something.

Granted I'm not on my own yet, but last summer I was so desperate for a job and so pissed that I couldn't find anything. Then, at the end of June, one of my best friend's mothers (Rectify actually, a user here) gave me an opportunity as a paid intern and now I'm returning to the company next year after I graduate in May as a full time employee ($20-$25 an hour!). So don't get your hopes down. I could recite all sorts of cliches and warm and fuzzy statements, but it really does get darkest before the dawn.

As long as you're trying hard, you'll get there. Just stay level-headed and persistent.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I know it sounds weird but try and enjoy your time out. Getting all worked up (excuse the pun) will just increase your frustration and will probably result in you making rash and uncalculated choices.

Like Cons I was also lucky, I came straight out of college and landed myself a nice little office job at a brokers, since then I've never looked back. Just goes to show that you never know what's round the corner.

You need to know what you want to do and where you want to go with your career, how old are you, what do you want to achieve?

Ask friends and family if they know of anything.

I'm sure you'll resolve your situation.

Good luck.

sugar_lump

Registered Member
I'm 23 years old and just under a year ago I injured my back and because of it I can't do a job with any heavy lifting and I had to leave my job as a nurse.
I'm over the fact I can no longer do the job I loved, I was quite content to move on.
I just need a chance to prove myself.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
So you're a licensed nurse who suffered a back problem that has crippled you for life? What happened? Or is it something that will get better with rehab?

sugar_lump

Registered Member
It's not crippled me, It's just made my back weaker and more susceptible to more problems. Some days are better than others and these problems are more common than you think.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
Why dont you look for an office job then, not so much heavy lifting and there's a desk you can sit at.

~Shwa

Bliss

Sally Twit
You're not alone. I was made redundant a couple of months ago but luckily they extended my contract until the end of December. For about a month and a half I applied for a shit load of jobs, went to a lot of interviews and had no luck in getting a new job. I was given nothing but positive feedback so it stunned me. I was hoping I would be given some negative feedback so that I could learn from it and take it with me to my next interview.

The only advice I will give you is stick to what you know. Apply for jobs where you have the relevant experience and make sure you have examples revised so that you can answer all the questions. You have to sell yourself and make sure your CV is all glamoured up.
No matter what you do, don't give up! Don't let it get you down when you go for an interview and don't get the job - suck it up and try again.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Bleh, i know how you feel mate. I have some solid qualifications but no one will let me prove myself, i've even gone for jobs i don't even like and still haven't gotten anything from it.

I guess all you can do is keep trying, are you on JSA or Incapacity Benifit?

Saucepan

Registered Member
Looking for a job sucks. I know how you feel I was out of work and looking for jobs for about a year and a half with no success (well I did get a job at MVC 3 weeks before it went into receivership and closed down and only worked 1 week).

I was very fortunate managed to get work and up till recently had two jobs (now just 1 of them), but on both of those occasions it was because of who I knew not what I knew. Try and keep a ear out for friends who mention someone they know is looking for employees.