• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Unemployment benefits story (sympathy or sob)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NHPR.org - Bad Timing: An Unemployment Story

I wondered how the woman getting extended benefits could keep doing so when she had no intention of looking for work she was attending school.

BTW, there is a mention of the woman and her husband having a 26-year-old son. The kid is either a deadbeat or disabled, but I'm guessing deadbeat since no mention is made of the parents needing to care for him.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's funny because when it comes to unemployment, there seems to be two crowds. One crowd sees all the unemployed as moochers with nothing better to do than gobble up government cheese and sit on their lazy asses. The other crowd seems to view each one of them as a true sob story deserving of a broadway show, book deal, and a free million dollars from every CEO in America. The truth of it is, the job market sucks, this much most of us know. On top of that, the value of a college degree is diminishing. I know a lot of college grads working high school jobs right now. Getting a little help is what is getting a lot of people by right now.

To be honest, the solution is there, it would be fought tooth and nail however. When I was on unemployment, I didn't have to show any proof that I was looking for a job. I did mine online. I would just click a little box that said, "I looked for and continue to seek employment this past week". That's the problem right there. There needs to be a more solid way to prove that you're seeking employment. This would weed out some of the bottom feeders and allow more space for the real victims to get help.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The article also doesn't say what her husband does for a living, if anything at all. I agree with Con's, there has to be a better way of confirming who is looking for work and just can't find any, and who is just sitting on their ass doing nothing.

I know the job market is tough, and while there may be college grads doing the work of high schoolers (I had to do that for awhile) those are sacrifices people need to make. The market will rebound at some point.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
The article also doesn't say what her husband does for a living, if anything at all. I agree with Con's, there has to be a better way of confirming who is looking for work and just can't find any, and who is just sitting on their ass doing nothing.

I know the job market is tough, and while there may be college grads doing the work of high schoolers (I had to do that for awhile) those are sacrifices people need to make. The market will rebound at some point.
I know maybe this thread is more pointed to America, but here as well the Unemployed are at high levels. I think what CO says "I know the job market is tough, and while there may be college grads doing the work of high schoolers (I had to do that for awhile) those are sacrifices people need to make." is a big part of the problem, here or there. People do not understand to help the economy grow quickly the need to work, even if at lower pay than they expect, for a time. Once most people stop collecting Government monies this is a big step in the direction of bringing the economy and better jobs back.

I think also with Con, if what he says is true then unemployment needs better check and balance system.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
People won't take low paying job cause they don't pay the bills. It's the same over here.

I think if minimum wage was higher (over here anyway) then crappy job would be worth going for. I've had people say to me 'why not do a cleaning job?' The simple answer is: it's not enough to pay the bills, the hours won't cover it.

I think i claim(ed) less benefit than most 'scroungers', i live at home so i don't get council or housing benefit :-/

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How does one qualify for unemployment benefits over there? Coz here, you need to have worked a certain number of hours in a specific period of time prior to your filing - if not, like if you're a fresh grad or haven't worked for ages, you don't qualify (probably because it's been a long time since you've contributed).

Anyway about unemployment benefit and judgement, I found this article a couple of months ago - note that the author also agrees with the unemployed providing proof of actively seeking work (and not just declaring it, which, reading from Constantine's post, is the current system). Don't judge the jobless - USATODAY.com