• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Understanding the game of Baseball(thread for Ilus)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright Kat, we'll use this thread to help you learn the great game we call Baseball.

The season is just around the corner, so might as well start this now. In this thread I'll be discussing everything concerning Baseball.

-Rules
-Teams
-Players
-History
-Understanding the game

I'm sure you'll have a lot of questions, you can ask them at any time. Remember no question is a dumb question. I know you're not familiar with the game, so this thread is to help you out.

Any other Baseball fans at GF can chime in whenever they like too.

Now before we get started, is there one thing that you really want to learn about? Just name it, and I'll start from there, and we can move on eventually.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I know some basics about baseball, but I will start this thread off with a simple question for a lot of non-baseball fans to chew on.

How long is a regulation MLB game? How many positions are there? What are they?

Hopefully the answer to this will make non-baseball GF members educated on the extreme basics!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
How long is a regulation MLB game?
A game can vary, some times you can have a game that will last over three hours, but other times when you have quick picthers(Roy Halladay) then a game can be very short. On average though, the game is about three hours long.

How many positions are there?
On defense you have nine players on the field:

-Catcher
-Pitcher
-First Baseman
-Second Baseman
-Shortstop
-Third Baseman
-Left Fielder
-Right Fielder
-Centerfielder

Here's a picture of what this looks like.

When it comes to offense it varies in both leagues. In the National League pitchers will come to the plate to take a shot at hitting the ball, in the American League they have something called a Designated Hitter. His role is to only hit the ball, he doesn't play defense. Pitchers don't go up to the plate in the American League. The designated rule(people also call it the DH) was adapted in 1973. A lot of fans don't like this rule.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
I'm not really here in this thread to learn anything about baseball, I am just intrigued at how some of the others are fascinated with the game and BR is going to explain. I think that's cool! Baseball is a great game, I watched several Little League games, as all my sons played. Plus we were watching baseball on Tv all the time, as we were all fans of some of the major league teams. The Chicago Cubs, The St. Louis Cardinals and The Phillies were the favorites for awhile. We started out disliking The Atlanta Braves, but became fans. I truly enjoyed going to the actual stadiums and watching a good ole fashioned baseball game, awesome!
And yeah, the designated hitter rule sort of pissed me off at times. As a female, baseball and basketball are 2 sports I do know stuff about, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to other sports. You are doing a great job BR!

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I read from a site some rules to how to play and I think I have some understanding of this so far.

What is difference, or how is it to play fantasy baseball? I know from my 1 time of playing fantasy football there is players you pick and then you score point from things they do, like to run , throw, catch or kick so far with ball. This I do not understand how will work in baseball.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I read from a site some rules to how to play and I think I have some understanding of this so far.

What is difference, or how is it to play fantasy baseball? I know from my 1 time of playing fantasy football there is players you pick and then you score point from things they do, like to run , throw, catch or kick so far with ball. This I do not understand how will work in baseball.
Fantasy baseball is a group of people getting together and forming a fantasy baseball league. Each person is a team owner and they draft players. You score points based on stats the players have on the field.

Wade8813

Registered Member

I'll be posting about fantasy baseball - we just figured that you should know a little bit about baseball first, as a frame of reference.

CO was right. It's much like fantasy football. We'll select real players, and create imaginary teams out of those players. Then, we'll get points based on what they do on the field.

It actually works much better for baseball than football. Baseball is measured by statistics - probably more than any other sport. So we can use those statistics to create fantasy baseball.

For the rules we'll be using, we'll probably use what's called 5x5 rules (5 by 5). These are probably the most common fantasy baseball rules. It basically means 5 hitters categories and 5 pitchers categories. I'll be going into this more once I've finished writing the introduction to fantasy baseball I'm working on

Fantasy baseball is a group of people getting together and forming a fantasy baseball league. Each person is a team owner and they draft players. You score points based on stats the players have on the field.
We could use a 10th person if you're interested.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Home Run could be done two ways. When some one hits a ball over the fence in the field, between the two foul poles in the field.

The big yellow pole on the right is what we call a foul pole, there's another one in left field, but you can't see it in this picture.

Here's what a home run out of the park looks like.

YouTube - Ken Griffey Jr Home Run at Safeco Field 6/24

Another way to hit a home run is if you hit the ball somewhere in the park, and you run all the way home. We call those an inside the park home run.

Here's what an inside the park home run looks like.

YouTube - Adam Stern inside-the-park HR

Last edited: