Understanding rape

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I have the desire to explore something ugly this morning. Don't really know why.

Is rape really so easy to understand? Everyday we seem to read stories about it and everyone likes to think they have a total understanding of it in one sentence: "a sick, frustrated, mentally unstable fuck".

Sure, that kind of assumption makes us feel good, it separates a rapist from a majority of the population, successfully alienating him/her. This makes us happier about ourselves since we all have things we dislike or wonder about ourselves. Could I ever have the capacity to steal? To hurt someone? To murder? We think of these questions sometimes and they can be hard to look at seriously.

So when it comes to rape, why are we so quick to assume everything about the assailant? Take for example a recent thread that discusses several children and two teenagers who raped an 8-year old girl. Do we all feel safe calling a nine year a "sick, frustrated, mentally unstable fuck"? Of course we don't. It's one of those cases that grinds the gears, that brings the system to a halt and makes us wonder about ourselves and our rules and the way we think.

A rapist can be simple, but it can be complex and it is not always a result of an "evil" mentality.

I just felt like opening up a general discussion on how we view rape, how we talk about it and how we deal with it.

To clarify, regarding that thread; just because I called them sick in the head doesn't mean I think they're evil. A normal human being doesn't commit rape, there has to be some kind of background issues or underlying problem that needs to be straightened out. Rape is most certainly not always malicious, in the case of very young people, but it does not excuse the act.

Here's the thing when I hear about rape stories: I don't think just the act it's self is disgusting, I think that the person doing it is also doing it because the power behind it. A few things:

- Power/Control over the other person
- The actual sex act
- Feeling good that you have this power over somebody and YOU KNOW there is nothing the other person can do it about even if they could.

I find the last one sickening. Sex? Urges? Yeah, we all get that, and it's understandable. It'd be nice if they got a wife, or (my religious believes don't condone this, however...) at the very least a hooker. I say that because I'd rather you have a hooker and this 'role play' then to actually go out and rape somebody.

However, some rape isn't about just the sex, it's about the power. I don't think we can ever stop that even with all the technology and advances. Heck, picture this: having a virtual console where you can simulate a rape. Will people who have the urge do it? Probably. But, I also think that they would want the real thing rather than the virtual world.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I think it's a fair assessment, seeing as how rape is an unwanted sexual act, and the victim is probably fighting back or crying. It takes a special kind of person to keep hurting someone intentionally.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Source rape definition | Dictionary.com

rape1  [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap⋅ing.
Use rape in a Sentence
–noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3. statutory rape.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

The dictionary definition has about half of how I view rape. It's literally forcing someone else to have sexual intercourse with you. Now, the reasons behind why you're raping someone could vary drastically from situation to situation and I don't believe that all rapists are evil or even that they're sick in the head.

Every time that I hear a rape story, two stories jump to my head straight off the bat. One is my friend in highschool. He almost went to jail because he was having sex with his girlfriend and sometime after the initial penetration, she decided that she wanted to stop and he kept going. The second story that I think about is my uncle. He almost went to jail because some chick claimed that he raped her when he wasn't even in the same town as her.

In my friends case, the girlfriend simply dropped the charges for whatever reason, and in my uncles case, there was video proof placing him at Wal Mart shopping when she claimed that he raped her. Either way, you have to take into account that not all cases of rape are merely men trying to get power over the woman. Sometimes, it's actually the exact opposite. The woman trying to look like a victim by playing the rape card. Also, when does sex become rape if both parties were consenting at the beginning but one party decided to stop and the other one didn't?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Your end thoughts are part of what I was thinking of, Hiei. The whole "he raped me!" defense of victims who try and get money out of another person and I think they do it because they know they can get away with it since we automatically hear rape and think, "kill the sick fuck".

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Rape, in my opinion, comes in three main 'sectors', if you will.

First, there's what I call the mentally 'uncertain', to whom it may not seem 'wrong'. This includes people who don't have the mental capability to differentiate between what is socially acceptable, and what is not (basically, 'right' and 'wrong') - mentally disabled people, children (/adolescents), etc. Basically people who don't see the further implications of their actions.

Second, there's the group of people who see crime as something to be used to their advantage. These are the people who can murder, steal, and hurt people without hesitation for their personal gain. (That bit's important.)

Third, and this is probably the worst group, we have the psychopathic or psychotic, etc. Typically people who are not mentally stable, with no real grasp of reality. This is the group that holds serial killers, people who will kill, maim, and yes, rape, for satisfaction. Typically, by 'satisfaction', an act of rape would not always be for sexual gratification, but something much, much worse - the feeling of power, of having control over another, by dominating someone else with superior strength. To give a little clarification on what I'm talking about here, I'm going to quote something from a post I made about serial killers who fall into the 'Power/Control' type:

Power/Control

The main objectives of these killers are to gain and exert power over their victim. These are typically the killers abused as children (which left them with feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy as adults). Many power/control-motivated killers sexually abuse their victims, but are different to hedonistic killer, in that rape is not motivated by lust -instead is used simply as another form of dominating the victim.

So often rape is due to some kind of mental instability, but it is not always the case. Some people (group two) use it for personal gain, sexual gratification, or simply to hurt someone else (though this is not to be confused with the third group).

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
My answer is not including people who are claiming when they were raped and lied about it.

I was only referring to the act itself.