• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Underrated/Rated/Overrated

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Simply enough concept, take three films and rate them in the above categories, feel free to comment on others opinions but keep it respectful.

Underrated - The Blair Witch Project
Rated - Halloween
Overrated - The Lord of The Rings

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Good thread, I'm assuming that by rated you mean a film that's totally deserving of the praise it's received?:

Underrated: Vanilla Sky - So many bad reviews but I find it moving.

Rated: The Dark Knight - One of the few films to live up to its hype

Overrated: Pirates of the Caribbean - This could also win most overrated franchise ever

Konshentz

Konshentz
Cool thread.

Underrated - Friday The 13th (2009). The best horror remake/reboot of the last decade.
Rated - The Departed. One of the best mob movies of all time and one of DiCaprio's best films to date.
Overrated - Avatar. A big, blue gimmick.

BrinkOfExistence

Registered Member
Underrated: Spider-man 3 - Everyone seemed to hate this film i thought is was the best of the trilogy.

Rated: Star Trek (2009) - Wasn't a fan of the old stuff but this was awesome.

Overrated: Scarface - I had to force myself to watch this, don't see what the big deal was about it.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Good thread, I'm assuming that by rated you mean a film that's totally deserving of the praise it's received?:

Underrated: Vanilla Sky - So many bad reviews but I find it moving.
Watch the original, Abre Los Ojos. You'll understand why people hated it. At least I kind of did.

Underrated: The Fifth Element. It's a cult hit but it really deserved a lot more. It was such a strange movie but so charming and fun at the same time.

Rated: Thor, I was happily surprised to see that the film was as good as I read.

Overrated: Every Twilight film. Shit acting, shit story, shit characters, shit, shit shit. It's pretty much a give in since the books are some of the most awfully written "successes" to have ever hit the shelves. You can't take shit and morph it into gold.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I like this thread.

Overrated: Clerks. Look, Kevin Smith has his moments, sure. But anyone who has worked a 2nd shift job, a convenience store job, and overnight job, or hung around such characters knows that there is a lot more quality material to fill that time with. It was impressive as an independent film--damn impressive. However, the film has its place but not the one in which is currently rests, I would say.
Rated: Inception. Not too bad. It wasn't killed with D-bag quotations, it was handled with measured hype, and it was a film people actually discussed. It was thought-provoking.
Underrated: Last Action Hero. A self-critiquing, comparatively humble, introspective commentary on not just the action genre but on the construction of hero archetypes in both reality and our inner psychology. I love this film and I honestly don't see enough mention of it. (It's a dream within a dream...:lol:)
------
Wait, I HAVE to add another overrated film...

Juno.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
YES.

I watched Juno and sat there the whole time thinking "When am I going to start liking this?"

Ziggy

Sup?
So many awkward moments in one movie with a hipster wet dream sound track, definitely not as good as people made it out to be.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Underrated: Sucker Punch (Not the best movie ever, but I enjoyed it a lot and it in no way deserved all the shit that it got from critics)

Rated: V for Vendetta

Overrated: The Social Network