• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Under age drinking

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This is kinda of a spin off from my "ever been in trouble" thread but one I feel is something that impacts everyone. I remember when I was 16 or 17 (about the time I was in sixth form in school) I remember going to the pub on a friday night, it was the thing to do, the place to be seen and from what I can remember neither of my parents objected as long as I didn't get into trouble, I know I never deceived my parents about my where abouts but should I and my parents have been punished in hindsight? In the eyes of law what I and my parents were doing is against the law obviously and I should have been refused entry or being served but do you think there is a portion of society that turns a blind eye in a "we all did when we were young" sort of an attitude? If you are a parent would you want your kids to drink in a responsible way so as to respect alcohol or would it be strictly no alcohol until legal age?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I am currently 19, and I have drank.

Underage drinking for me is not viewed as a bad thing unless you get caught. My parents do try to stop me sometimes (I am by no means a drunkard) but I just don't listen to them sometimes.

I do not condone heavy, and public underage drinking, but if it is done privately and with a small group, I find that it is fine.

Impact

V.I.P.
I definitely drank when I was under age, quite heavily too. Started when I was 15. My parents used to buy me a certain amount, and my friends would come round and we'd get drunk. They liked to supervise our drinking, But then I always had older friends who would buy me whatever I asked for, and i'd go out to parties and the likes and get smashed. I probably drank more when I was under are than I do now. I'd probably go about it the same way as my parents did with me if I ever have kids

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I've been drinking when I was about 7 or so. I've never been a huge drinker and never gotten drunk.
We don't have laws against underage drinking, over here so I haven't broken any law, nor was I prevented from drinking.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I drank a lot when I was underage. My parents didn't condone it and would never buy alcohol for me, but they didn't give me a hard time about it either as long as my friends and I were drinking responsibly and not driving drunk or getting into trouble. As a parent I think I would be the same way. I'd definitely be a lot more lenient about it when my kids are between 18-21.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
America's drinking age is 21 so yeah, I drank plenty before I got to that age. The drinking age being 21 here is a different topic for another time.

My Dad always let me drink when I was underaged. My Mom would always yell at him haha. There were times when I came home drunk and underaged but I was able to hide and was never caught.

For whatever reason it was a lot of fun to drink when you "weren't supposed too."

Bliss

Sally Twit
7 years old, Elly? Really?

The biggest reason I hardly drink alcohol today is because I spent most of my teenage years getting drunk all the time. I didn't like who I was back then and I associate drinking with that time. I also get very bad hangovers and I am one of the few people in the world that actually lets that stop them.
My parents didn't know I was drinking all of the time because I'd always stay at a friend's when I did it.
My dad always tries to buy me a drink when we go out and gives me a dirty look when I ask for a coke haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Well the legal drinking age in Australia is 18, and most kids start drinking at around 14/15/16 etc so yeah, most people have drunk before 18. There are some exceptions to the rule though. Nothing wrong with having a drink at home with your family before you are 18. But it's illegal in public places, bars, parties and you can't buy alcohol before 18.

Impact

V.I.P.
7 years old, Elly? Really?
Well, if we're going with when we had our first drink I was probably 9 or 10, my parents gave it to me, and it was watered down with lemonade, so 7 really isn't that bad. I don't think she means she drank all the time at that age.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I have no problem with underage drinking as long as you are responsible. Don't do anything stupid when your hammered, ya dumbasses. A guy in my school was killed a with a friend a few months ago because he drove his car drunk.