• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Un-written rules in baseball

willge87

Registered Member
For those of you who haven't heard there was a brawl in the Red Sox-Rays game today over a stolen base in an 8-3 game. The question I have for the membership is that does the supposed un-written rule apply in your eyes? A five-run lead is still vulnerable if the Red Sox achieve one really good inning. At 15-0 I can understand getting pissed, but at 8-3 in the 6th or whenever it was, nah, the winning team stealing a base isn't unreasonable

ADDENDUM: The Rays ended up winning 8-5 with the Red Sox putting two up in the top of the ninth. A few of those innings prior for Boston and the game would've been a lot closer.

blpratt1982

I don't think it applies in this situation. Seems like a total overreaction by the Red Sox. Probably a result of frustration from the losing streak they're on.

Yeah, I agree. In baseball, a 5-run lead is pretty much like a 2-goal lead in hockey, it can change so fast. This wouldn't have happened if the Red Sox weren't in their worse streak in 20 years.

Sabby

EdgeHead said:
Yeah, I agree. In baseball, a 5-run lead is pretty much like a 2-goal lead in hockey, it can change so fast. This wouldn't have happened if the Red Sox weren't in their worse streak in 20 years.
I'm so against these 'supposed' unwritten rules. This is professonal sports. I'm a paying fan, I don't care if my team is up 2-1 or 11-0, I want to see the best possible product. Steal bases, stretch out a single into a double. These guys are getting millions, so in no situation do I want to see any half assery (is that a word lol?). Sorry BoSox that you're getting spanked, deal with it.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I hate most of these "unwritten rules" in baseball. Baseball's not like other sports where you can just take a knee or playing keep away with the ball/puck to run out the clock. You still have to face the other team when they're up to bat, so there's no reason not to try to score more runs (or steal bases, or bunt, whatever) when you have the chance because you never know when you're going to need those extra runs.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
willge87 said:
Are the Red Sox trying to spark some motivation with this brawl?
That could be a factor, but that's more in the NHL than in the MLB.

I agree with the consensus. It was a overreaction by the Red Sox. You play to win the game. You do everything in your power to score runs till the last out. I love a good brawl but this one was totally useless.

All that said, Gomes made the first move and I'm not one bit surprised. The guy is a piece of shit.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess the Red Sox would rather the other team stops trying, eh?

Bunch of pansies. There are some unwritten rules that should be ignored. A 5 run game? Really?