Ump blows call, costs pitcher perfect game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

What an unbelievable situation last night at Comerica Park in Detroit. Armando Galarraga was ONE OUT away from a perfect game (only the 21st in the history of the sport) and the umpire at first base completely blew the call and cost him his chance at history.

Reminds me of the blown call at first in the 1985 World Series that cost the Cardinals the Championship.

Here's the video of the umpire's reaction after the game...he was a man and told Galarraga he blew it. Pretty stand up guy...hopefully he doesn't get threatened for this. The guy who blew the call in the World Series received death threats.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Umpire Joyce on call that cost Galarraga perfect game - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

What's next? Instant replay. This call was so easy though... I cannot believe he called him safe.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Oh so this is the guy my friends have been cursing on their facebook statuses today. I didn't realise how rare it could have been. No wonder. *Awaits threats

3. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Wow, after watching that, he was clearly out. The umpire made the wrong call and the pitcher should of had a perfect game. If I were the pitcher, i be very upset too.

4. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

The Ump and pitcher involved are both such classy guys, definitely characteristic of baseball!

Ump's imperfect call ruins perfect game - STLtoday.com

5. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

The ump blew it. Even if it was a close call, I still would have given it to Detroit, but it wasn't a close call.

6. Millz

I was impressed with the way umpire Jim Joyce personally apologized to Galarraga and offered no excuses.

Today in Detroit he's behind the plate and he was seen crying because Galarraga and other Tiger players were so nice to him about it. I think the whole thing was handled with class even though it was a terrible situation in which Galarraga was robbed out of being put in the history books.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I saw this last night as I watched the Cardinals/Reds game. Pretty messed up situation.

Kudos to both Joyce and Galarraga for handling this so professionally. I know Joyce feels like shit for blowing the call and I can only imagine how Galarraga feels.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That really sucks. I feel bad for both the umpire and the pitcher, but it's nice to see the situation handled with such class on both sides. Bud Selig, on the other hand, has absolutely no excuse not to overturn the call and make everyone happy.

That said, the only thing that really matters is that the Tigers won the game. I think people, and especially the media, put too much emphasis on records and individual glory. I'm not trying to take anything away from Galarraga. What he did is amazing, and just because it won't show up in the record books doesn't mean he didn't actually do it. He knows he pitched a perfect game whether it's official or not.

10. Millz