Ultrasound machines in abortion clinics

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by AngelsPeak, Apr 22, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

This isn't a thread about whether or not abortion is right or wrong, so let's please not go there.

I know that some ultrasounds are performed for medical reasons, but the vast majority are for personal reasons.

Should a pregnant woman be required to have an ultrasound done before an abortion can be performed? There are many groups raising funds right now so that each clinic can be equipped with a machine. The thought process being that if a woman can see a visual of the baby growing and moving inside her body, it has the potential to change her mind and make her child more real to her.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

No, I don't think so. I think that it's a very difficult decision to make, and it's not always made on the basis of "it's not a baby". It's sometimes made on the basis of "there's absolutely no way I can take care of a child, and I can't afford the medical care required during a pregnancy and delivery."

Not to mention that many abortions are performed in the first trimester, when an ultrasound won't show much of anything that resembles a growing baby.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

But you can usually see the heartbeat by the 6-7th week. Also, (and I'm not posting links or encouraging anyone to watch it) The video titled 'Silent Scream' was done at 11 weeks.

4. Raos

Raos Registered Member

I think that sometimes abortion is the right decision. Having an ultrasound forced on someone is a poor idea. Yes it could end up making some people change their mind because of emotion, but when was emotion ever the best way to make a decision? There are times when a woman should not have a baby because she is not prepared to do so. The baby will suffer because it is brought into a world and no one is prepared to deal with it. Sometimes abortion is the correct course of action.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Personally I don't like this kind of tactic, an abortion is already an emotional demanding ordeal for any person to go through, to actively make a difficult experience even more difficult by using psychological techniques is not something I would encourage.

I think the money would be put to better use if it paid for pre/post-abortion support to ensure the correct decision is made and dealt with appropriately.

Jeanie likes this.
  6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I don't think it should be made into law that the woman sees the ultrasound but they should have them on hand to verify that the person is indeed pregnant who wants the abortion. I mean some of these women might just take a home pregnancy test and say 'oh shit' and not get it verified before heading over there.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't know if I'd say it should be required, but I do kinda like the idea of the woman knowing that the option is available.

I'm pretty sure the doctor is going to verify things before starting a highly invasive surgical procedure :lol:

8. monstertoad101

monstertoad101 Registered Member

i think that it's a good idea, i mean, yes, it could encourage the woman to change her mind, if she see's/hears the baby's heartbeat etc, but, not only that, if a woman is uncertain about the procedure, maybe, this will aid her decision.

For the government to be trying to fund so that every clinic has 1, there must have been an improvement in the number of women, saying that they don't want the procedure after viewing the scan. If there wasn't an improvement, the government wouldn't be all that bothered about each clinic having the ultrasound machine.

9. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

You'd think but we have all heard horror stories of things that shouldn't happen.

10. Raos

Raos Registered Member

I have never heard a horror story of a woman going in for an abortion, but finding out she is not pregnant.