• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ukulele is making a comeback

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
The ukulele renaissance

Global ukulele sales are soaring, topping the 400,000 mark in 2010, according to one source. Hawaiian ukulele manufacturers are struggling to meet demand. Music shops in Brooklyn are sold out. Bette Midler presented President Barack Obama with a ukulele as a gift for his daughters.
“The ukulele has not yet reached the level of ubiquity that it enjoyed in the 1920s,” says Jim Tranquada, author of the upcoming book The Ukulele: A History. “Back then you could walk into any major department store in the United States and buy a ukulele. They were literally everywhere.”

I'm impressed. I really want a ukulele now. Its one of those instruments similiar to the harmonica, that you can carry with you anywhere. Just whip it out, and get a tune going. Like the article says, it's a true test of who has it and who doesn't. Like giving an artist a crayon. It's true music without all the frills

What do you guys think? could you stand plunking away on a tiny string instrument? I know I could haha.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have a ukulele. I'll mail it to you if you want. It's purple, though!

I got it from a shop many years ago in Scotland. Every instrument they sell is a bright colour. I can only play one song which my sister taught me. She has a red one.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When I think of ukelele I think of Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Isreal IZ (and hard to spell last name). I like its sound and it's definitely more portable than other instruments.