UK proposes pay goes to government 1st

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Quote: "The proposal comes from Britain’s tax collection agency known as Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. The agency would mandate that employers send employee paychecks straightaway to the HMRC, where taxes owed would be deducted. The worker would then be paid via a bank transfer."
U.K. to Citizens: Hand Over Your Paychecks | News | Money/Investing | Mainstreet

Interesting idea! Your employer sends your pay to the tax agency, they take what they want, and send you what remains. Kind of reminds me of "the Jetsons" cartoon where George breaks out his wallet, takes out a few bills, and Jane takes the wallet! :lol:

So what do you think? Is this a good idea? Would it work in your country? Do you think the idea will catch on?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm a bit confused how it would accomplish more than the current withholding system we (and they) use, and what the big outcry is all about.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Meh, I am kind of crossed on this one, One reason I would be against it is due employees have to wait longer to get paid and the government may take out exactly the correct taxes out and won't be eligible for a tax refund the next year. On the other hand though it would stop companies from tax invasion. Force companies to stop hiring illegals because now Uncle Sam will now know who works in the back of the kitchens at McDonalds. I really don't have an opinion on this one, it could go both ways for us.

Last edited: