UK government tried to shoot down UFO

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by Neil, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Neil

Neil Registered Member

I heard this on a news show this morning.. Can anyone in the UK share any light on this topic??

2. Jake

Jake Registered Member

I have no idea what you're talking about, I live in the UK and I haven't heard anything...

But tbh, if they did try to shoot down a UFO, then they have every right to. I know what some people think when you hear UFO, they think aliens, but UFO doesn't mean aliens...

If there was something flying that shouldn't have been there, then why shouldn't they shoot it down, any other country would and should do the same thing.

EDIT:

I found this RAF 'ordered to shoot down UFOs' - Telegraph

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. Lemonv1

Lemonv1 Registered Member

I agree with Jake, it depends on the meaning.

If they [the UK government] believed it to be aliens, then it many ways that would be folly.
    However, UFO does stand for Unidentified Flying Object. That could be anything. Shooting it down incase there were terrorists on board makes sense.

4. Jake

Jake Registered Member

The article in the link I posted says that they only fire at the UFO if it appears to pose a threat of some sort. Not sure what threat the one you are refering to posed as I haven't heard anything about it on the news.

5. Neil

Neil Registered Member

I wish I had caught enough of the interview, but I never got the gentleman's name that was being interviewed. He was referring to "alien" UFO's, from what I gathered. I agree with your comment about UFO's in general, absolutely a sovereign government has that right. I would expect the US to do the same!

I did see the interview on FOX news FOXNews.com - Expert: RAF Pilots Ordered to Shoot Down UFOs - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

I'm just wondering if this guy is just after his 15 minutes of fame

6. Jake

Jake Registered Member

Quite possible he just wanted to get on TV lol

In the UK, when someone refers to a UFO as an Alien, we often consider them to be crazy and weird. But who knows :p

EDIT: After reading both the articles, I think the news is not that the UK have attempted to shoot one down recently, but rather that they've been ordered to shoot them down if they come accross one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009