UK Europiean Elections

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Pugz, May 1, 2009.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

So, the elections are coming up next month and i actually want to get a bit involved this time because i plan to vote next year too; since i doubt anyone here will be voting BNP why don't we talk about the other parties? There some things i know and some things i don't; for example: i know the Lib Dems want to bring in the Euro, but i don't know who the UKIP are or what they want to do.

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I must admit to not being upto date with the different party policies. It is though a dangerous election as it is proportional and the minority parties(BNP:sigh:) do generally get a better turnout of support than the mainstream parties.

I dont know a lot about UKIP other than they want to leave the EU, shunning political ties whilst trying to maintain some kind of trade agreement. Personally even though I am a decentralist I can not see how the UK would benefit form their policy. Oour role would be better served as one of the leaders in Europe rather than as a bystander neighbour to the economic super-power that is the EU.

The Lib Dems want to do the oposite of UKIP , they want to see more intergration with europe, adopt the ÔéČuro as currency. They believe that by doing this the UKs strong economy and global influence through the commonwealth would place the UK at the head of the table and take some of the power from France and Germany who currently steer the EU flagship.

But...there are many candidates to choose from, I think the Lib Dems and also the Greens will have a decent run this election.

3. Pugz

I don't particually want the Euro, everything will shoot up in price :-/ I'm also worried about what the Libs want to do with our educational system; isn't Ed Balls a Lib?

I think BNP will have a better run than usual because a lot of people are sick of the imigration; i believe that if they changed their ideals a little ie: not kick every tom, dick and harry that isn't white out of the country, and concentrate more on the flow of imigration then they'd have a better chance.

4. Bananas

Ther would probably be very little change in prices. We may see slight inflation but this would be minimal. You never know, if it was timed right we could actually see a price drop as people round down an not up. I think the economical and political impact it would have outweigh any minor price hikes.

Ed Balls is labour, I think they have done enough damage to the education system. The libs actually have quite a good education policy although how much of it is feesible and at what cost I dont know.

I think that is the selling point for many, personally I dont think the BNP should be anywhere near a position of power. If immigration is close to your heart then UKIP want to curb immigration whilst working on intergration.

5. Pugz

I'll have to look into UKIP some more, i don't particually like any of the big four.

6. Bananas

Me neither. I cant see the differences between Labour and Conservative anymore, they seem to just copy each others ideas and policies.

Respect have also been gaining some prominence as have the Greens

You cant say we are not spoilt for choice. Living in Wales we have another option as well; Plaid Cymru.

7. Pugz

I think the Greens are going a bit far banning zoos and genetic manipulation; the Admixed project is a decent idea in my opinion.

Look at Monkey World in Dorset, they consider themselves a rescue centre (as do i) but it's open to the public and could be considered a zoo; i wouldn't want Greens closing that.

*Reads more* Greens are a bit iffy, i like some of their ideas but not all; but then again you can't agree with everything. Respect sound alright though.

8. Sim

Sim Registered Member

So the upcoming UK-wide elections are proportional this time?

That's quite a change to the previous majority system. Weird I hadn't heard of it so far.

9. fleinn

fleinn 101010

..when did that happen :D

Do you expect more, or less turnout?

10. Bananas

The European elections have been proportional since 1999.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009_(United_Kingdom)

Traditionaly turnout is low, however in England they are also running local elections that day so this should encourage voters.

I also think that in the current financial and political climate there are a lot of pissed off and generally disgruntled people who want to be heard, so this too may have a factor on turnout.