Ugly Americans Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steerpike, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

What are some experiences you have had with "Ugly Americans" on the internet and how did it reflect on the United States in your eyes?

Discuss "Ugly Americans" on the internet.

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Most Americans I met online were nice.

But there were some I met on political discussion boards who were on the "America is God's own nation"-trip, full of hatred and prejudices against everybody else, calling Europeans "cheese eating surrender monkeys", accused us of supporting terrorism and siding with al-Qaida because we didn't agree with the Iraq invasion, would make allusions to connect today's Germany with Nazism. They would imply the lives of Americans are worth more than those of foreigners, even call for genocide of "sandniggers" or "towelheads". And they did not even realize the irony when they then said they would like to do that to spread "freedom", or when they accused Germans of Nazism. And it was obvious they knew nothing beyond their tiny horizon, had no knowledge of foreign countries or languages and completely incapable of questioning their own country.

How did that influence my view on America? Well after having met these people, I know now how dangerous and fascist the American right is. They are genuine fascists who in best authoritarian fashion glorify their "leader", support genocide and devalue other nationalities.

But I know they are only one part of America. They are a minority, and most other Americans are decent and nice people.

3. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

I've encountered all types of Americans online over the years and my overall feeling is that they are, for the most part -- good, honest and fun people. They tend to say the things no one else dares say but once you learn not to take it too seriously or offensively, they're fairly humble and well humoured people. I've met more than enough asinine, brash, primitive and simpleton Americans too but I can say the same for most other nations that inhabit the same webspots as myself (though perhaps with a lower percentage). Americans just tend to be the most noticable. ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. fleinn

fleinn 101010

I don't know. Very few americans I've met on the intertubes turn out to be the stereotype who owns a cart of guns and worships Reagan and John Wayne every morning (while thanking God for giving the white man indians and black people to shoot, and so on). Even if some try to sound like it.

But what I have noticed is that the ones I meet in real life really are completely honest and practical when they treat their countrymen like ignorant sheep. And presume that they need leadership and fake justification for being in the present situation.

Example: I would never dream of suggesting that some domestic problem should be spun only for political coin, or that it somehow wasn't best to take the discussion openly - since I tend to think that everyone has a real perspective on the world, and that it should be a connection between theoretical and academic language and actual issues.

I mean, I would expect that sometimes this won't work - but to simply presume on beforehand that social and political issues are unsolvable and permanent, and that we simply need a shell of political effort around it that appeals to the stupid demographic?

It's appaling. It's what the maoists (all three of them) talk about here. But I understand why it's done. Because in no other population have I ever come across people with this much of a split between rich and poor, or between educated and uneducated. And to be perfectly honest I've never come across a culture that worships simple- mindedness and authority to such a degree. It's done under the cover of approving of individualism, strength and straight talk. But what it is is that from "left" to "right", a frightening amount of people approve of vicious exploitation of others.

While at the same time people are terrified of the straight talk they approve of officially, because truths that don't sit well with the underlying presumption of bestness is something that isn't welcome. Either because the social situation is unchangeable, or seen as unchangeable. Or because to let go of the idea that you can succeed if you just carry on doing your work - is unbearable.

And all of that creates a type of dialogue that has severe black spots - and it's just not true that dragging these issues to the forefront will make people engaged in issues that affect their own lives. And that fact is a scary thing about the US. Because it's not the "ugly americans" that's the problem. That's just a tell.

Syndicate likes this.
  5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Most (if not all) popular countries have "ugly" stereotypes. When I meet someone online that seem to personify that Ugly American stereotype, I just ignore it. I know that they're not representative of their country. And there's always someone else I would meet who'd prove me right; a reminder that great people exist even in countries with negative reputations.

6. Black_Angel

Black_Angel Registered Member

Ive spoken to many Americans over the years on the internet, and TBH ive found them no different to any other country.
    Yes there are some whacko's out there, but some of the nicest folk I've known are american.

You can't taint a whole country by its fundamenatlists and minorities. Its not fair to the decent hard working folk out there. Besides, if theyre on a forum youre on, you can always ignore them :D

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

This is for anyone: Can you share at least one "horror story" of an encounter with an "Ugly American" online?

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Truer words about Americans have never been spoken - and that's coming from an American.

The whole "ugly american stereotype" is pretty annoying Steerpike I'm not going to lie, and I don't even understand why you'd create this thread. Really? I mean, waay to further cultural blindedness, and an acceptance of social stigmas. Are all blacks great athletes, all french cowards, and all islamic believers terrorists?

Asking to share these "horror" stories is only furthering the stigma placed on Americans. (Just or unjust)

But hey what do I know, I'm just an Ugly American.

AeonFlux, AngelsPeak and ysabel like this.
  9. fleinn

fleinn 101010

(damnit, he's on to us!)

You don't qualify. I don't know.. If I'm honest, I'll have to admit that if it suddenly became completely acceptable to talk the way certain republicans do in the US ("bomb the Iranians, take their oil!") here in Norway - then we would take arrogance to an entirely new level. Add a nuclear stockpile and a huge army on top of that, and we would have crazies speaking forcefully and comparatively wisely in favour of eradicating poverty by force. And we would have a completely different footprint in international affairs, where the usual diplomacy - when that would fail (which it does in 9/10 times) - would be replaced by something else.

So I won't pretend that I can't see how it turns up. But it really is hard for me to understand that there is some sort of shame attached to arguing against the narrative, in the way it is. I mean, I've seen it happen so many times now - a select few people bludgeon in a set of "rules" for the debate, and anyone countering those are typically "out to stir up trouble". And the way that sticks.. look at Obama's "race- speech", for example. That there might be real social issues behind the angry jargon? It just doesn't sell, not even as a way to set things on the agenda - and I don't think anyone can reasonably argue why it shouldn't.

10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Well the thing is, I'm not sayin' there arn't Americans (or presidents) that fit the ugly american profile, it's just quite annoyin that there is this stereotype that goes beyound just the politicians and ignorant Americans. Theres this immediate thought when you introduce yourself as an American, that you might be this chauvanistic, arrogant, fool hardy, asshole. It's just ridiculous that people actually think that a nation of millions of people can all fit in the same stereotype.

I'm not saying you're guilty of the stereotyping Fleinn, because personally I know you're smarter than that, and I do have a great deal of respect for you, but there are certain people that I know would rather just stereotype someone like me an Ugly American, before even talking to me.