• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

UFC 203 - Punks Debut (spoilers)

thealigator

Registered Member
I have no real interest in UFC. The idea of watching people legitimately fighting and trying to hurt each other holds no appeal to me. I think I am just to much a pacifist for it. With that being said Dana White and the UFC do have my attention for seeing Phil Brookes aka CM Punk making his debut into the octagon.

In story terms it couldn't be better. He is man that few believe in. He is stepping into a arena he has no business being in. He will fail. Place a wonderful video and dramatic music on and I want to see this.

How many are going to watch UFC tonight? What do you think Punks chances really are? How well do you think he will be received? Will he be respected or laughed out?

thealigator

Registered Member
Yes he certainly did. I would like to say he did well but lets face it he didn't get out of the gate. I feel for him I really do and fair dos to the guy for getting in there. There a very few who would have. But with regards to the fight? I thought he would at least put up more of a fight than that. I am not sure he even landed a strike before he was taken down and honestly Punk was lucky that that fight was stopped, any longer and I think he would have been in trouble.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was pretty bad. Unless it turns out Gall is actually really really good. I would have expected that someone with the time, money, focus and effort to train with a top tier team for two years would've been able to defend himself more intelligently on the ground. He looked like an amateur.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Punk just got rocked... he looked as lost as I expected he would. Also in the main event, Miocic took over on Overeem very quickly and Overeem looked like he was gassed 2 minutes in.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
It was pretty bad. Unless it turns out Gall is actually really really good. I would have expected that someone with the time, money, focus and effort to train with a top tier team for two years would've been able to defend himself more intelligently on the ground. He looked like an amateur.
I think it's a bit of both.

Punk was waaaaaay too aggressive from the start and all it took from Gall was one mistake and he took him down. Afterwards, it was just a matter of time. I'm fairly confident that Mickey Gall and Sage Northcutt will cross paths very soon.

Now, as for Punk's future, I've seen a lot of people mocking Punk for what happened last night but when you think of it, I believe that the biggest fault here lies on Dana White & UFC. Punk admittedly said that he was planning on fighting at a much lower level to start but then "this opportunity fell into his lap". Of course, he wasn't gonna say no to the UFC. And then, Dana threw Punk under the bus and basically said he'll never fight in UFC again while he clearly signed Punk for the cash grab & publicity stunt. He specifically booked Punk in Cleveland because the Ohio State Athletic Commission was the only athletic commission who would've allowed Punk to fight because they took into account Punk's experience as a professional wrestler.

But then again, with Dana White, this is nothing new. When UFC gets embarrassed by bad fights & bad cards, it's never his fault. It's a fighter's fault, the judge's fault or the athletic commission's fault. Dana White has never acknowledged when he was wrong at any time and this won't change while he's still there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Boxing / MMA 3
HabsMike25 Wrestling 8
EdgeHead Boxing / MMA 6
EdgeHead Boxing / MMA 2
EdgeHead Boxing / MMA 14