• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

UFC 116 Fight Card- My / Your Pick(Lesnar vs Carwin)

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
:spin: I have been waiting for this fight to happen for aaagggggeeeessssss! I sooooooo want to see Shane Carwin wipe the floor with Brock Lesnar!:nod::D

Shane Carwin vs. Brock Lesnar - Lesnar counting sheep in the first round.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama - I'm a HUGE Wanderlei fan and would love to see him win this fight but he's up against a tough opponent in Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle - I think this fight could go either way

Stephen Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos

Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer

Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic - I don't like Kendall Grove so I'm just hoping Goran Reljic takes the win.

I didn't bother with the Prelims this time around; however if you're interested, you can go to: www.ufc.com

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I told you I was going to be active in this thread, so I'm keeping my promise. This is the fight that I've been waiting for myself. Most people believe that Carwin will destroy Lesnar, I beg to differ. Personally I believe Lesnar will win. I know Carwin is the same size as Lesnar, I know that he has a bigger fist then Lesnar, and I know he's been on a hot streak since joining UFC. But I just believe that Lesnar now at 100% will prove nay sayers wrong and beat Carwin.

The only thing that I'm afraid for Lesnar is Octagon rust so to speak, he hasn't stepped into the ring with a real challenger since Mir, so it will be interesting to see if he looks "lost" when he steps in there.

None the less, I can't wait for this match.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I told you I was going to be active in this thread, so I'm keeping my promise. This is the fight that I've been waiting for myself. Most people believe that Carwin will destroy Lesnar, I beg to differ. Personally I believe Lesnar will win. I know Carwin is the same size as Lesnar, I know that he has a bigger fist then Lesnar, and I know he's been on a hot streak since joining UFC. But I just believe that Lesnar now at 100% will prove nay sayers wrong and beat Carwin.

The only thing that I'm afraid for Lesnar is Octagon rust so to speak, he hasn't stepped into the ring with a real challenger since Mir, so it will be interesting to see if he looks "lost" when he steps in there.

None the less, I can't wait for this match.
<3 <3 <3
Yes! You did, and I'm so pleased I have someone to chat with about MMA / this fight, there's major cobwebs and ring rust in here!:lol:

It's been about 50% for Carwin and 50% for Lesnar with those who I've spoken with. Anyway, should be an awesome match between the two!

Speaking of ring rust... I wouldn't worry too much about Lesnar suffering from any, himself. I'm sure he's been training morning, noon and night. . .eating, sleeping and shitting this fight!, lol. If anything, he'll go in guns blazing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh I am sure your right, he's been training since there's no tomorrow since the doctors cleared him fit to do so.

Every time I argue with some about this match, I always say that Lesnar was never at 100%, and they always tell me it doesn't matter if he's at 100% now he'll still be the same fighter. Personally I disagree with them, I think Lesnar will be better overall now that he's 100% healthy. The way he fought with what he had was pretty impressive, I'm just curious to see how well he'll do now.

This is the biggest fight of Lesnar's career and he knows that, so I look for him to come out strong.

PS: I'm just going to change your title a bit, so it gets a bit more attention.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Oh I am sure your right, he's been training since there's no tomorrow since the doctors cleared him fit to do so.

Every time I argue with some about this match, I always say that Lesnar was never at 100%, and they always tell me it doesn't matter if he's at 100% now he'll still be the same fighter. Personally I disagree with them, I think Lesnar will be better overall now that he's 100% healthy. The way he fought with what he had was pretty impressive, I'm just curious to see how well he'll do now.

This is the biggest fight of Lesnar's career and he knows that, so I look for him to come out strong.

PS: I'm just going to change your title a bit, so it gets a bit more attention.
lol, That's okay, I don't mind.:)

If a fighter goes into the ring with a broken thumb, nasty cauliflower ear, etc. a fighter doesn't have to be "100%" entering the fight, things like that don't cause any major setbacks in the way they perform and has no impact on their cardio and strength; however, if a fighter has been ill (chest infection, had major surgery, past / present lower back & neck injuries, etc.) then they've got something to worry about, this is when a fighter must be 100% going into a fight. In this instance, it is important for Lesnar to be 100% going into the ring but I think Lesnar has had alot of time to recover, rest and prepare for this fight properly.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why do you believe Carwin is so much better then Lesnar? By the looks of it, it seems that you believe Carwin will wipe the floor with Brock since you think it's going to be done in the first round. Is it because Carwin as been destroying his opponents since his UFC debut? Is it because Lesnar doesn't have much experience in the Octagon? I just want to know reasons behind your decision.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Why do you believe Carwin is so much better then Lesnar? By the looks of it, it seems that you believe Carwin will wipe the floor with Brock since you think it's going to be done in the first round. Is it because Carwin as been destroying his opponents since his UFC debut? Is it because Lesnar doesn't have much experience in the Octagon? I just want to know reasons behind your decision.
Lets make this clear, they both have done an excellent job in the UFC thus far but I also go for personality. Cocky, arrogant, disrespectful fighters don't have a place in my book no matter how good they are in the Octagon and I think Lesnar's a cocky son-of-a-bitch.:nod: I'm fully aware it's irrelevant to the sport but I've always been that way. . .or at least until I met Ken Shamrock; he was one of my favorites back in the beginning of the UFC, I used to think he was a superb fighter. . .until he opend his mouth.:shifteyes: What a cock.
...So basically since then, I've paid close attention to not only the fighters abilities but also to their personalities.:lol:

I'm confidant to say that Carwin has the right mix of size and skill to make this a serious challenge.
...Carwin is known for his boxing, wrestling & BJJ and has won all his fights so far; he's KO'ed 7 and submitted 5 of his opponents.
Lesnar only has his wrestling background; won 4 out of 5 fights; 2 by KO, 1 by submission and 1 by decision.

This is what I see, Lesnar is still "reckless" in the ring; his fighting is predictable which can lead the right fighters to expose his weaknesses; he needs to work on his striking; he needs to learn how to guard himself against strikers; he needs to use / learn more holds when on the ground, as repetition is and can be a major flaw in this sport; he's too reliant on the ground and pound, he needs more depth to his fight, etc.

With that said, I think the only flaw Carwin has going into this fight against Lesnar is that he can be out powered by him.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing about personalities is that you got to expect some of them to be cocky, I know Lesnar is over the top at times and it might rub people the wrong way, but I don't believe he's extreme as you and some other people make it out to be.

Now, I am not a huge follower of UFC, so I might be off when I say this but Carwin as never faced anyone his own size. Fighting Lesnar will be a whole new experience just like it will be a whole new experience for Lesnar fighting someone his own size.

Carwin might have a background in fighting, but personally I believe a lot of people under estimate the striking abilities of Lesnar, he can pound you with those fist, forearms and elbows when he gets you to the ground. We've never really seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he could take a few of those hard shots from Carwin as well.

You mentioned the one flaw that Carwin might have against Brock, don't know about you, but that seems like a major flaw that might hurt him in the long run in my opinion.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
The thing about personalities is that you got to expect some of them to be cocky, I know Lesnar is over the top at times and it might rub people the wrong way, but I don't believe he's extreme as you and some other people make it out to be.

Now, I am not a huge follower of UFC, so I might be off when I say this but Carwin as never faced anyone his own size. Fighting Lesnar will be a whole new experience just like it will be a whole new experience for Lesnar fighting someone his own size.

Carwin might have a background in fighting, but personally I believe a lot of people under estimate the striking abilities of Lesnar, he can pound you with those fist, forearms and elbows when he gets you to the ground. We've never really seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he could take a few of those hard shots from Carwin as well.

You mentioned the one flaw that Carwin might have against Brock, don't know about you, but that seems like a major flaw that might hurt him in the long run in my opinion.
Within reason there's some room to be cocky but not over the top, cocky!:lol:
...I dunno, I just prefer confidance over cockiness, that's all.

Lesnar's striking abilities are indeed, flawed; there are holes in his game and essential skills missing but that's all part and parcel of only having one "trick" going for you as an MMA fighter. This sport is constantly revolving as well as the fighters and their skills / techniques, etc. Lesnar's brute strength, size and power will only take him so far if he were to only rely on his wrestling background. Trust me on that one.

I wouldn't say that it's a major flaw of Carwin's (re: being over-powered by Lesnar) solely because of his experience and his background. He's a more well rounded fighter than Brock which makes Shane more dangerous.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I get it that Carwin as a better background then Lesnar, but so did Mir and the second time they fought Lesnar destroyed him. I believe people are putting to much into the factor that Carwin as a better overall "resume" so to speak then Lesnar.

I'm not denying Carwin at all, he's an amazing talent, and his track record in the UFC speaks for itself, I just don't like it when people put down Lesnar because he came from the WWE so to speak. He was a great amateur wrestler in College, only loss once I believe. I know that's much different then UFC, but it's still something.

Lesnar as proved that he can contend in the UFC, even though he doesn't have a lot of matches. He has the World Title in the UFC, that means something in my book.

Sorry for going off, I just hate it when people(not saying you) go off and say Lesnar is a joke because he comes from the WWE.