UEFA Super Cup: Man Utd 1 - 2 Zenit St Petersburg

For any one that watched - your thoughts on the game?

Nothing to panic about from a Man Utd point of view, I'd say. Certainly not a great performance but you can still see the rust falling off. Zenit were sharper and had proper match fitness.

Credit where it's due though - I was very impressed with Zenit. Despite MU's defense looking unusually frail, they played some good football and 2 - 1 in no way flattered them. Both held possession well but MU didn't seem to have any creativity til the final stages. Tevez can hold his head up high though. Cracking work rate from him as always. Very inspirational player. Didn't see much from any one else though.

Danny was excellent. I'd never seen him before tonight. He looked very comfortable on the ball. Great solo goal, too. Also shocked Zenit could afford to spend so much. Must be a Russian thing :lick:. Pogrebnyak played well too along with a couple of others. Perhaps some last minute poaching coming up before the window shuts!

Have to mention Scholes stupidity. He'll be missing the first match in the CL group stage. You could see the embarassment and regret on his face as he walked off. Stunningly accurate palming though. Couldn't have placed it any better! Otherwise a role model footballer so you have to forgive him for the lapse. O'Shea going over to celebrate with him was equally embarassing btw lol.

I sure hope Berbatov will make a difference. He's certainly more inventive than Tevez (for all his work rate) and Rooney. Little flicks and through balls. Great link up. I wonder if Fergie plans to use all three or rotate. If so, I also wonder now who he'd sacrifice. I'm still waiting for Nani to step up and start producing consistantly but I'm slowly losing faith in him.

Oh well. Early days!

Haha. Fergie didn't realise Scholes would be suspended! His face just now was priceless.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I thought United borderlined awful all night.

Never got going and frighteningly got beaten by a better team.

We never looked like scoring, it took Vidic to score his first goal via his foot to salvage any sort of dignity from the game.

Liverpool and Chelsea next, can you honestly see us getting anything from them?

padd

Registered Member
well, this is nothing but pride.. and with all the politics going on in todays day I don't see how you Man U fans could just roll this game over and say it counts for nothing.. even though it really doesn't.

I haven't really seen that reaction to be honest padd. Not from my circle of friends anyway. Your typical BBC 606 sensationalist fans might be over/under reacting (as football fans tend to do in general) but most mature fans I know had some concern, gave great credit to Zenit but couldn't ignore the fact we've played 2 league games in the EPL. Arsenal were very poor against Fulham. Liverpool were shocking against Standard Liege. Of the big four, only Chelsea could claim to be playing anywhere close to their potential. No team is remotely close to their peak at this point. Was a shame to lose though. Could certainly see genuine disappointment from them at the end.

(Not sure if you were loosely talking about Man Utd fans or me/Emo inclusively)

Anyway back to the actual game aftermath though..

I can't lie, I am slightly worried about those games. If it was Bolton and Hull it'd be a different story. The attack wasn't looking promising but I had faith in the defense. They'll have to tighten up. Especially at set pieces. Liverpool are due a win against MU and Chelsea is always a tough game. Right now I'd take two draws. Four points would be heaven. I have a feeling MU might only take one though (vs Liverpool). Hope I'm wrong.

It's getting so bloody tough in the PL now. You can't drop too many points or you're chasing, potentially, for months. That Newcastle result feels especially frustrating. Berb coming in and a great performance against Liverpool and it'll all be smiles again though. Things soon change! I've felt some bemusement at the start of many seasons and they usually come good.

What did everyone (all 3 of us in GF footie :)) think of Neville btw? He can claim rust as much as any one else but he did worry me. Is he still capable in the big games? Would MU be better off playing Brown for the next two league games? And how do think Zenit will do in the CL? Tough group for them but they seem a suprisingly capable team.

Last edited:

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
yeah right, theres no way that zenit will out last Juventus and Real Madrid in the 1st round.

Hey, trust me here Padd.

Zenit are more than capable of securng qualification from their group. Their a very good team capable of an upset.

Syndicate: Neville is washed up and his place should be given perminantly to Brown. He was poor yesterday and I think he's lost all his match sharpness, and at his age I doubt he'll be able to regain it.

The captaincy will be given to Ferdinend and quite right.

I can't lie, I am slightly worried about those games. If it was Bolton and Hull it'd be a different story. The attack wasn't looking promising but I had faith in the defense. They'll have to tighten up. Especially at set pieces. Liverpool are due a win against MU and Chelsea is always a tough game. Right now I'd take two draws. Four points would be heaven. I have a feeling MU might only take one though (vs Liverpool). Hope I'm wrong.
Well unfortunately I was right about the 1 point and problems from set piece, just came from a different ground. What a whimper of a start. He'll come good in the end but I also stand by my saying that Berb wasn't worth 32m.

Very tough games out the way though. Time to get back on track. A long way to go..

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I think Berbatov is worth every bit of his £30.75M transfer fee. He's a quality acquisition and I'm certain he'll become indespensable to the cause.

Making your debut against Liverpool and then following that up with Chelsea isn't easy.

We've got Bolton next week, that's his real chance to settle in.