• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

UCONN Women's Basketball

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has you may or may not no the Huskies Women's basketball just surpass the record of the UCLA Bruins 88-game winning streak. They set a new record by doing so. A lot of the people involved, especially the coach is pissed off that they're not getting more recognized for the accomplishment. They believe they should be discuss along the same breath as that Bruin team that have won 88 straight.

What are your thoughts on the streak itself, and do you believe they should be talked in the same breath as those great Wooden teams?

I personally believe that these two accomplishments are not even that close and you can't compare them. The 88-game winning streak is by far more impressive, and no it's not because I believe Women's basketball is a joke, I just believe the competition is way harder in Men's College Basketball then in Women's Basketball.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't care about women's basketball, but it's an impressive streak. I don't think it should be compared to UCLA's streak though. Men's and women's basketball are completely different sports.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yes, Men's and Women's basketball are different sports, but 89+ straight wins! That is a remarkable streak no matter what the sport. Trust me. I am pulling for them to keep winning. This is history!

Also it doesn't hurt only 2 games have been decided by single digits.

BigBob

Registered Member
I feel like they could would 189 straight and people would still just say eh.. the 88 is more impressive. The point is, they still do it year in and year out. It's hard enough to bring talent in to go undefeated for 1 year, but for going on what, 3 years now almost?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Their 90 game win streak was just snapped by Stanford, who was also the last team to beat them before the streak started. I'm glad we'll finally get to stop hearing about this every time they play, but I do applaud their amazing accomplishment over the last three years.

I still don't think this streak is as impressive as some of the streaks in other sports. There isn't nearly as much parity in women's basketball. There have only been six national champions in the last 15 years. The same teams win over and over again. Mostly Tennessee and UConn.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I totally agree with you Echoes, I'm glad the streak is over and now some of the sportcasters can move on. I'll give them props for winning 90 straight, but like you I don't find this streak to be one of the best in sports history. Not surprised that Stanford was the team that beat them either, since they always play them tough.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree, the streak was pretty cool but not as impressive as other streaks in sports. There is very little parity in Woman's basketball and comparing it to men's basketball is a failed argument, the are completely different sports.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Another streak ended by a bookending team. Stanford has bookended another record streak! (They ended PSU's W Volleyball 109 game winning streak earlier this season after being the last team to beat them before the streak).