Ubuntu: Worth it?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

I saw this OS and I heard some great things about it. Anyone use it? I know Rectify has been giving it a test run and he doesn't have much in the way of complaints.

Anyone have opinions?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm actually downloading it right now and I'm going to dual-boot it with XP. Details coming whenever I get it running.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
What you really need to think about is what you want out of your OS. You have to remember that Linux isn't a replacement for Windows (if you recall, I posted that "Linux != Windows" article a while back).

In any case, I have heard that a newcomer to Linux should try SuSe 9 or Mandrake 10. However, this advice might be a bit old, considering Mandrake is now known as Mandriva, but I'm farely certain that they will still work if you're looking into checking Linux out.

Myself, I would see if I could get hold of a Live CD and spend some time using that before making the decision of if I should install Linux or not.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Myself, I would see if I could get hold of a Live CD and spend some time using that before making the decision of if I should install Linux or not.
I've already done that with Knoppix and Ubuntu.