• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

UAC preventing access to a restricted drive

newone

Hi, i hope this makes sense...

- Dell latitude with Vista Business installed.
- Hard drive partitioned into C and D drives.
- Access to the D drive is restricted to members of the local administrator group.

When I log onto the laptop as a member of the local administrator group I cannot access the D drive. I get an "access denied" error. However, if I turn off the UAC it allows me to access the drive. At no stage do I get the UAC elevation prompt.

Is there a way of allowing only the users in the local administrator group to access the D drive without the UAC causing a problem?

Many thanks,
Ciaran.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you assigning permissions to users individually or per usergroup?

Also have you tried setting permissions on a root folder in D and seeing if that works?

I'm not too familiar with Vista Business and I've never used UAC, which is a new user control feature added in Vista.