• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

U.S. Workers to Train Foreign Replacements

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
EXCLUSIVE-Claim: Carnival Forces U.S. Workers to Train Foreign Replacements Before Christmas - Breitbart

I don't know how everyone else feels about so many H1-B visas being handed out but I think when a citizen has to train their replacement I think its sickening. There probably is a need for some work visas but I feel they are being over used just to replace citizens with cheap labor bringing down wages. Yet we wonder why the middle class is shrinking.

Thoughts?

Impaired

Registered Member
What a crappy article.

That said, who is surprised at IT and such being moved off-shore. Not at all shocking.

When I worked for a steel mill service company, I was also let go after training my replacements. I thought the two hires were my crew - turns out, I made too much money and 2 college kids and the occasional consultant could and did take me place. I thought I was safe because I knew 3 wildly different systems that most people don't know.

This is business as usual.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I disagree, its not a crappy article.

No its not shocking so many jobs are being moved offshore and its not shocking this is part of why our middle class is shrinking.

Yes people get replaced all the time with cheaper labor. My problem comes in when they are being replaced by foreigners when we have college graduates here that can't find jobs. It should be illegal to replace an American with a H1-B visa holder. This is a system that seriously needs overhauled. I can't believe so many in government have lobbied to increase the number of these visas we give out. I just hope the day doesn't come Americans decide why go to college and get in debt when you will get replaced by a foreigner anyway.

Here’s the short answer: In general, it’s legal for employers to use the H-1B program to replace American workers, and there is no blanket requirement to recruit Americans first.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-replace-american-workers-using-h-1b-visas/

Workers then switch to an H-1B. Switches are not recorded as part of the 85,000 cap and there are no checks and balances in place to reign in visa clearances.

The Department of State, who issues worker visas, reports figures for all 16 different types of work-eligible visas, showing that 70 million have been issued since 2007.

When the Government Accountability Office studied the H-1B visa program in 2011, they reported reasons why the numbers of guest workers are impossible to track:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-frankel/insourcing-american-lose-_b_11173074.html

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
You go, Trump! Americans need those jobs! Imo, H1-B should only happen if no Americans want jobs that need to be filled. American workers first!
Btw, Carnival already has some serious rep issues. Add cheap labor and it will get tons worse.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Carnival is a sinking ship trying to stay afloat and if they are going to replace Americans with foreign labor they can sink for all I care. If I were going to take a cruise they would be the last ones I would consider.

Carnival Apologizes for Stranded Ship

Impaired

Registered Member
It is an entirely crappy emotional appeal article with few facts and lots of invective to make you angry.

it is business as usual in the USA. Nothing odd or strange or not done by hundreds of companies.

You have no right to a job. You have to no right to not be replaced by cheaper labor.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its done by enough companies it is a real concern and it is hurting US workers. Its BS that there aren't enough Americans to do these jobs. This is just a way to keep wages down.

Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsors -2014 H1B Visa Report | MyVisaJobs.com

The liberal Economic Policy Institute reported last year that only half of U.S. college graduates in science, engineering and technology found jobs in those fields and that at least one third of IT jobs were going to foreign guest workers.
Backlash stirs against foreign worker visas

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
You go, Trump! Americans need those jobs! Imo, H1-B should only happen if no Americans want jobs that need to be filled. American workers first!
Btw, Carnival already has some serious rep issues. Add cheap labor and it will get tons worse.

Yeah, because Donald Trump, a man whose own merchandise lines like Trump Apparel and Trump Homes outsources to countries like Mexico, Bangladesh, China and Indonesia will be your saviour. Please.

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
You did it... again... Not good. K. So I don't know everything about Trump and outsourcing but no way it helps the Carnival cruise line. Those noobs have to be trained up so they're not pros. When the ships start sinking, Carnival will probaly be all over the news. Just saying...

hepismis

Registered Member
Caveat: I'm not American, and I didn't read the specific article.

I think we're all being prepared for a work-free future. Production is becoming so efficient, and automation using mechanical labour is progressing so rapidly, that human workers will simply not be needed at all some time down the road. The real problem is that our economic system is based on 17th-century philosophy and political theory and can't adjust to reflect this kind of reality. Wealth will have to be replaced by some other way for the elite to masturbate themselves about their superiority to the rest of us.

BTW, the GIF that Bubbles posted is causing bad lag in my Firefox. Is there any way to turn the GIF off?