• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

U.S. withholds $800 million in aid to Pakistan: White House

Comet

Registered Member
I am pleased by this decision. It is clear Pakistan isn't completely on our side. They hid Bin Laden (at least a section of their government knew his whereabouts), are playing games with visas, withheld access of our military personnel as well as a laundry list of other items that warrant this action.

To be brutally honest with you I wouldn't be opposed to more cutbacks in regards to aid to Pakistan until such a time arrives where they treat us like a true ally. We have higher priorities at this moment in time than to assist a country that doesn't have our best interests in mind.

The United States is withholding some $800 million in military assistance to Pakistan in a show of displeasure over its cutback on U.S. trainers, limits on visas for U.S. personnel and other rubs, the Obama administration said on Sunday.
U.S. withholds $800 million in aid to Pakistan: White House | Reuters

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm inclined to agree, Comet. At least that's my initial thought. Even if it was just part of the government that was knowing about Bin Laden's location, and even if some of the government is still a true ally, they need to take control of the people with bad intentions.

I can't remember exact details (and the story from Reuters won't open for me at the moment), but it feels like ever since the killing of Osama Bin Laden that there have been at least a few bits of information that I'll hear on the news that make Pakistan sound sketchy. It feels like the ball is really in their court as far as proving themselves to us.

I'm usually good with foreign aid, especially if it's going to help the citizens of a nation directly in a positive way. But in this case, I'm sure that people in the U.S. would be happy in considering the economy and how we're using our money. I'm fine with questioning other foreign aid spending, as well, if the country in question hasn't been behaving well.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The situation in Pakistan is interesting, because those currently in power there are pretty friendly to us. They might not front like it, necessarily, but that's because there's a lot of pressure from within the country to not be so friendly. Anything we do involving Pakistan is going to be done with the fact they have nukes in mind, which means cutting some aid to them could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of strengthening the power of those currently in charge of the nation; since obviously they're just going to publicly shrug about the whole thing, which helps fight the idea they're bought and paid for by the States.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SmilinSilhouette Bathroom Wall 2