U.S. Mint to Ban Melting Pennies and Nickels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fresh, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, pennies are useless in an economy with prices such as ours. I'd rather sell the copper than try to use such a useless quanitity of money in normal transactions.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

now where can I get a furnace?........

I don't think it's really worth it to melt down pennies for their additional cent value. Unless you already have a furnace ready.

4. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim Guest

actually, research shows that the united states spends more money making and managing the circullation of pennies then they are actually worth. Multiple times bills have come to congress trying to get rid of the penny.

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I think once the generation that remembered using them often has passed away, there will be a more successful campaign to get rid of it. I mean, honestly, how often to you USE pennies? Barely anyone I know actually collects them or uses them often.

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I flick them across the room (sometimes at people or objects) by snapping my fingers, it's pretty fun. Hasn't destroying money always been illegal though?

7. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

I thought that writing on money was always illegal >>; But it's not my place to say that since I always from time to time write on bills.

The only time I ever use a penny is when like I have to have maybe....26 cents in change when I buy something and that's it. I find it quite wrong how ppl go into stores and buy something with dozens of penny packs, my g-ma makes me do it and it makes me feel broke >>; Lots of the state lines won't even except pennies when u have to pay either, I know for a fact that one for New York doesn't.

8. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

As far as I know it has. At least it's illegal for the general public to deface or destroy currency.

Hoosier.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I use pennies for donations, along with one dollar bills. If defacing money is illegal, then tons of people must be breaking the law. I've seen ones with pen markings all over, moustaches drawn, curse words, rips.....

10. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

Some of the worst money is the type that smells like drugs. It's not good to get that kind of money when there are cops near by >>; But some defaced money have the best advice on them when u least expect to get some too.