• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

U.S. hypersonic weapon explodes during flight test

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new hypersonic weapon developed by the U.S. military exploded shortly after lift-off from an Alaska test facility during a long-awaited flight test early Monday, the Pentagon said.

Experimental U.S. hypersonic weapon explodes during flight test
If this weapon would have had a successful test it would have allowed us to destroy a target anyplace in the world within an hour of getting data and permission.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

They need to find out what went wrong and try to fix it. A conventional weapon is much better than nuclear that could leave the earth uninhabitable.

When I see how many new weapons we have I have to wonder if some of these UFO's people are seeing are our own new technology.

Thoughts?

leewatsonful

If this weapon would have had a successful test it would have allowed us to destroy a target anyplace in the world within an hour of getting data and permission.

They need to find out what went wrong and try to fix it. A conventional weapon is much better than nuclear that could leave the earth uninhabitable.

When I see how many new weapons we have I have to wonder if some of these UFO's people are seeing are our own new technology.

Thoughts?
Why does the US insist on making all of these crazy new weapons of mass destruction, shouldn't they be focusing on conserving the planet and peacekeeping a little bit more rather than balls about with nuclear superweapons? :nuke::nuke::thumbdown:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This weapon isn't nuclear. The whole purpose to making these type of weapons is so nuclear weapons won't be used so we don't destroy the planet.

dDave

V.I.P.

Thoughts?
It's been my thought for a long time that a lot of these supposed UFO sightings are actually modern technology that's been kept under wraps.

This weapon isn't nuclear. The whole purpose to making these type of weapons is so nuclear weapons won't be used so we don't destroy the planet.
See, that's just it though. Nuclear weapons are so destructive that nobody is willing to use one. If a lot of nations had a hypersonic weapon like this then I'm afraid we'd see everyone actually using them since the damage would be considered "acceptable" whereas a nuke is not acceptable because the only retaliation for that is nuclear.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's been my thought for a long time that a lot of these supposed UFO sightings are actually modern technology that's been kept under wraps.

See, that's just it though. Nuclear weapons are so destructive that nobody is willing to use one. If a lot of nations had a hypersonic weapon like this then I'm afraid we'd see everyone actually using them since the damage would be considered "acceptable" whereas a nuke is not acceptable because the only retaliation for that is nuclear.
I have to agree that it is more likely that someone will use these weapons since they won't destroy life as we know it. We aren't the only one developing them though, so is China and Russia so we pretty much have to.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Its all about air-defense systems. Atm Russia has the s-500 and thats the most effective anti-missile system in the world. They also have the new Iskander missile systems with stealth, anti-missile evasion, and can be launched in 60 seconds.
But hypersonic missiles would be tons easier to store and cheaper to build than Iskander missiles and they could evade anti-missile systems too.