• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

U.S. found liable for Katrina flooding

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- The United States government must pay for some of the devastating Hurricane Katrina flooding damages in New Orleans caused by a faulty canal system hastily installed decades ago, a federal judge ruled Friday.
U.S. found liable for Hurricane Katrina flooding

We have to pay for it again. They should have used the money they were given more wisely. Since they were given this money and chose not to spend it on this canal why should the US be held liable for it. I think its on them.

Thoughts?

Here's an older article from after the hurricane about how much they received and how they spent it. Heck they got more than California, a much more populated state.

It turns out Louisiana has gotten more than its fair share of federal dollars for infrastructure but its own lawmakers thought the New Orleans levees were not a priority.
Katrina: Louisiana Federal Money Not Spent on Levees

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The money I suspect was being funneled quietly away for post catastrophe gentrification of the area. Being the cynic that I am, I reckon there was a plan hatched long ago for that particular brand of "urban renewal" whereby the buck could be passed to mother nature.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They thought everything was more important than that canal was the problem. Sure when it was first built the best job wasn't done but they got plenty of money to fix it but didn't. They didn't think it was possible for them to have that kind of hurricane so pet projects came first.