• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

U.S. eliminated from 2018 World Cup

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
2-1 loss to Trinidad and Tobago leaves them fifth in qualifying. A tie would have gotten them through.

WTF?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't wanna talk about it haha...what a fucking joke we are

I am still going to watch for Germany and all that jazz but for the US not to be there is unbelievable. At least they don't have to go to Russia though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't wanna talk about it haha...what a fucking joke we are

I am still going to watch for Germany and all that jazz but for the US not to be there is unbelievable. At least they don't have to go to Russia though.
In your opinion, what is the problem with USMNT? I am not just talking about this current team, but over the years. It seems that they have a problem developing talent, in a country that has over 320 million people.

I know Soccer is not the first choice of youths who want to play sports, but it is the cheapest route to go. We have the same problem here in Canada; our National Team has not made the World Cup since the 80s.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
In your opinion, what is the problem with USMNT? I am not just talking about this current team, but over the years. It seems that they have a problem developing talent, in a country that has over 320 million people.

I know Soccer is not the first choice of youths who want to play sports, but it is the cheapest route to go. We have the same problem here in Canada; our National Team has not made the World Cup since the 80s.
It really doesn't make sense because soccer in the USA has gotten more and more popular as the years have gone on. The MLS is a thriving sports entity. You could almost say there is no big 4 in the US anymore and that its the big 5 with MLS coming in there. They keep expanding so why aren't we any good in the international play? I dunno.

Hell, we just won the friggin Gold Cup or whatever the heck that was but we can't beat Trinidad and Tobago?! Really? I am not sure what the issue is but we first off need new leadership. The groundwork is there, soccer is cheap to play, but for some reason its just not getting over.

I do have hope for the future but this 2018 stuff is a letdown. It's actually a huge letdown because the US over the years has faired, for them, pretty dang good.

1990: lost in group stage
1994: Got through group, lost to the eventual champs Brazil in round of 16
1998: lost in group stage
2002: Got through group, BEAT Mexico, and lost to Germany in round of 8
2006: lost in group stage
2010: basically won their group that included England, lost to Ghana in round of 16
2016: advanced through group stage, the group of death (included GER, PORT, GHA) and then lost to Belgium in the round of 16

Look at 2010 and 2016...we advanced through group play against mega teams. We tied England, beat Ghana, tied Portugal, etc etc

So now a few years later we're worse? That is the scariest part. I have officially rambled lol