Tyson vs Douglas?

Discussion in 'Boxing / MMA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No, there's not going to be a re-match between these two boxers. The reason why I am posting this is because a lot of people believe Tyson lost on purpose.

Everyone that knew boxing back then thought Tyson was going to kill this guy in the ring. But everyone knows that Tyson lost. Do you think it was fixed or Tyson really lost?

Some people think it was fixed because if some people that Tyson knew would bet against Tyson then he could make a load of cash.

Thoughts?

2. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I personaly think that Tyson lost the fight through nothing more than his own fault.
    He admitted thinking Douglas was an easy fight, was not training anywhere near what he used to and I think to some extent he believed his own hype, that he could not be beaten.

He was being leached off of left right and center by everyone around him, I think if he had taken the fight seriously, trained the way he was taught and cut out all the hangers on he would not of lost that night.

As for throwing the fight I dont believe that for a second, he was world champion, making money hand over fist from lucrative endorsment deals because he was champion.
    Once he lost that title that endorsments would have dried up somewhat, going to the new champion.
    I cant think of one good reason why he would deliberatly lose.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You mentioned that he was being leached off by everyone, I believe that Don Kind was one of those persons. He probably told Tyson that Douglas will be an easy bout and he needs to concentrate more about endorsements and making more money then actual boxing. Now I might be way off with this, but I think he had a big thing to do with it.

I don't want to go to off topic here, but I believe Don King was the worse thing to ever happen to Mike Tyson, well one of the worse things. In my opinion he ruined his career. He might of made him lots of money at one time, but by the end, he was nothing but a son of a bitch in my opinion.

4. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Yes, I agree King was the worst thing to happen to Tyson, King was only ever interested in how he could get more money from a fighter, he had no real feelings towards any fighter in his stable, so yeah he most likely was part of the course of Tyson's ever irratic behavour.

But it was not just King, Tyson's so called entourage were nothing but hanger's on, they had found a meal ticket, and I would imagine they would tell him anything he wanted to hear to stay in that circle. How many of them are still around Tyson now, my guess would be not a single one.

Unfortunatly I think a lot of the blame for Tyson's downfall can be placed firmly on his own shoulders. After Cuss D'amato passed away he lost the one thing that had kept him grounded.
    From then on I think the cracks started to show, Tyson was alone and King found an easy way in as Tyson's new mentor, because Tyson needed someone to be there for him.
    From there on in the entourage just got larger and larger, as Tyson found more so called friends.

I also think Tyson was not preparred mentaly for his rise to stardom, the moment he won the title everyone wanted a piece of him, I think he had to much to fast and never had anyone to slow him up.

It is a shame as I think if D'amato were still around when Tyson entered into the ring to face Douglas the outcome would of been a very one sided fight as the bookies and everyone else thought it was going to be.
    D'amato would never have allowed Tyson to slack in training, and would have kept the vultures away from Tyson for long enough that he would have had a chance to get his head around world wide fame.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Registered Member

Tyson lost because he totally underestimated him.. To the point where he spent a few days before the fight partying with hookers & cocaine, smoking things & the like.. He turned up with a massive hangover hinging his bets on an early KO.. When it didn't happen, Douglas, with the added fuel of his Mothers death just days before, then set about an exhausted Tyson.. There was one controversial point.. I think it was the 8th or 9th, when Tyson connected with a peach of an uppercut, but wasted a few seconds going to a neural corner, but I don't think that alone could of saved him that night.. It kinda signaled the end..