TV Two popular sitcoms...

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, May 5, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I didnt know what to call this thread.

I always wondered why an actor that has had a really popular sitcom, never had the same success with another show.

I know this might be confusing, but what I mean is that I wonder why Jerry Seinfeld never tried to have another sitcom(just using him as an example) Some actors like Michael Richards as tried but failed.

I'm not talking about secondary characters either, Ill use Jerry Stiller as example, he was popular on Seinfeld and King of Queens, but he wasn't the main character on either shows.

Do you think people like Jerry Seinfeld are afraid to try another sitcom, because they don't want to ruin their great reputation they had for their first popular sitcom?

2. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

Jerry Seinfeld is smart enough to know that he's never going to have another sitcom as successful or as brilliant as SEINFELD. That sitcom raised the bar so high that any sitcom he did after that would be instantly compared to SEINFELD.

Besides, he's made a zillion bucks from SEINFELD and really doesn't ever has to work another day in his life. His TV appearances have been limited to guest-starring on episodes of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM and 30 ROCK where he played himself. And the only movie I can think of that he's done was doing the voice of Barry B. Bee in BEE MOVIE.

I love Jerry Stiller and have ever since he and his wife Anne Meara used to show up on TV all the time doing their comedy act but for the life of me I don't understand why everybody finds his role on KING OF QUEENS so funny. He basically playing a louder Frank Constanza (if such a thing is possible) But then again, except for Leah Remini, KING OF QUEENS is a pretty worthless show anyway.

3. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

The mark of a good actor, much like those of sports stardom, is knowing when to call it quits. Like DL stated Jerry was smart enough to know that he will never reach that same level of epicness that he had achieved with Seinfeld. It's better to just not try, you know?

4. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

Sometimes it works out. But rarely. I think people just get used to that actor playing a well-loved character, and when they aren't, they are compared to their old character. And some actors try to capitalize on this and play the same basic character, which ends up being a less than great version of their original show.

Can anyone think of even ONE actor that's done well both times (or more)? I can't.

5. Marvelous1

Marvelous1 Registered Member

Bob Newhart. He had success as Bob Hartley on the Bob Newhart Show in the 70's and then succeeded again as Dick Loudon on Newhart in the 80's.

6. DLFerguson

Sherman Helmsley in THE JEFFERSONS and AMEN.

Marla Gibbs in THE JEFFERSONS and 227

Bea Arthur in MAUDE and THE GOLDEN GIRLS

Betty White in THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and THE GOLDEN GIRLS

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

Good ones, guys!

character limit character limit character limit character limit

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I've thought another one, but it's not as good as the ones Ferg mentioned, or the other members.

But Ted Danson had Cheers and Becker. I know Becker is not even close to Cheers, but it was still pretty successful during the time it was being aired.

9. DLFerguson

What really surprised me is how good a dramatic actor Ted Danson is. After years of seeing him in comedies I had no idea he would be so good in a dramatic turn. He plays a really scummy character on FX's DAMAGES and does it so well that it's almost scary.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I think most of them don't do multiple shows because of all the time it takes. It's much more time consuming to do a television series than it is to make a movie. I think most of them...or at least most of them who have long standing tv shows just don't want to get back into how much time it takes.