two internet connection through one switch

Discussion in 'Computers' started by drupr2, Jul 6, 2007.

1. drupr2

drupr2 Registered Member

hi
    can somone tell me if it is possible to have to high speed broadband internet connection through one switch if so will i need patch cable etc...:confused::sigh:

2. techgeek73

techgeek73 New Member

I know with a cable modem it is possible, but your ISP will limit you to only pulling one IP address. If you want to use a switch you'll need to buy either a static or another dynamic IP from them. A cheaper way to do this would be to by a router. This would be compatible with DSL and Cable service and would allow you to connect up to 254 PC's to one internet connection.

3. techgeek73

techgeek73 New Member

A cheaper way to do this would be to buy a router. It will allow you to hook up up to 254 PC's and NAT them to one public IP address. You can use a switch, but your ISP will probably limit you to only one public IP. To use a switch you would probably have to buy a static or another dynamic IP from the ISP to do this. I'd go with the router if you just want more than one machine to have access to the internet. It would also give you the ability to network them together.